Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Moving to Fort Worth Area

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving to Fort Worth Area

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm starting a new job on Hulen St. in Ft. Worth on 11/19, and am looking forward to getting the know the area and meet new folks.

Anyone have any housing suggestions? Right now I've been looking @ Colleyville/Keller/Southlake, but would ideally prefer a shorter commute. I have a 4 yo son, so quality schools are important.

I'm currently a member and instructor @ Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, and am looking forward to being able to get more track time @ MSRC.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome Chris, I cannot help you with housing personally, but Peter (pmptx) lives in Keller so maybe he will chime in with ideas.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Welcome and APEX, Drivers Edge, etc. are always looking for instructors at MSRC. I instruct with APEX and possibly at ECR next year. Come on out and have some fun.

HAve you looked at http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-worth/
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

There are some nice neighborhoods in the Hulen area, why not move there? Or just west in Benbrook? I lived off of Bryant Irvin for a year when I first got married, and I like that area. There are some great private schools around there as well, like Fort Worth Country Day and Trinity Valley School.

I work in South Fort Worth as well (I-35 and I-20 off of Alta Mesa) so maybe I'll see you around.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the area. If you decide on NE Tarrant Co (Keller/Colleyville/Southlake) you will end up with excellent public schools.

Feel free to PM me with your phone # and I can help you with some locations once I know your preferences.

I have a 5y/o and a 9y/o so I am in the same boat with needing good schools.

SW Tarrant (Hulen area) does have some great private schools, but you will be paying your property/ISD tax plus tuition and that can be a hefty bill.

Happy to help. Will PM you my office # shortly.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks, everyone - I'll be hanging out in the area this weekend getting a feel for the area and scouting potential homes.

David - looking forward to meeting you at the track. Not sure when I'll get my S2000 up, as I'll be living in temp housing for a while and won't move it here until I have a garage to store it safely in. MSRC 3.1 is my favorite track in TX, and hope I can run it more frequently.

Kenny, there are plenty of nice homes in that area, I drove through there when I interviewed. I'm concerned about the quality of public schools, and as much as I'll be paying in school taxes don't want to pay private tuition on top of that. But I've been told I should look in Aledo, and that it's a reasonable commute w/ good schools.

Peter, thanks for reaching out. Nice chatting w/ you, I'm looking forward to meeting you soon.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Chris, EgoThreat lived in this area when she worked at Lockheed. It was nice, from what I recall, but I have no idea what the school system is like.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM

Mark,

I've looked at some nice homes in that area (esp. in La Canterra), but it seems like the area is served by Azle and Ft. Worth ISD's, neither of which seem to be that great. Too bad, b/c it would make for a much more pleasant commute than NE Tarrant County where I'm currently focused.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All three of those areas have good schools, I've lived in all three areas and i prefer keller or southlake if you have kids. Keller is a great community, and has grown huge in the past couple of years. Southlake is considered a more high end area compared to keller.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Just arrived in Southlake for a weekend area scouting/house hunting expedition, and already the drive from Ft. Worth sucked even at night! Hopefully Keller is a bit better, I'll settle for lower end if it helps keep my sanity from long commutes! (I was spoiled in Austin, worked remote 3-4 days a week and had a 15 minute commute the rest of the time).

Quick Reply: Moving to Fort Worth Area