Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

NTAXS Autocross #5, 7/24/2010, TMS Bus Lot

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Jul 26 2010, 01:25 PM
V12's are definitely not in the same neighborhood as the AD08/RE-11/Star Spec group as far as street tires, to me they are more of a high performance summer all season. R888 are classified as a R comp not a street tire.

I didn't hear anything about the R888 being phased out, but if they are I'm sure they'll bring out a replacement just like the R888 replaced the RA-1. In any case I'll agree with you that your car would have trouble putting down most of the power even with a top tier street tire if you laid into the throttle, just too much torque.
R888 may not be phased out, but I get most of my tires from tirerack and they didn't have any in stock for my last track weekend (3 days before the event, I noticed they were corded).

Need to do some research. Next autocross is in 2 months, right? Gives me time to get some more tires.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, R888s are 80 or 100 treadwear. They also tend to need a little bit of time to come up to temp (like a typical track tire), although they are much better about this than the RA1.

FWIW I have R888s on another set of wheels in the same size as my Dunlops that I use as track tires. The Dunlops are faster by far for autocross, and not much slower on the track. The R888s are more heat tolerant though.

Corey, the biggest problem for you is going to be finding some of the new ultra-sticky tires in your tire size. I know my buddy with an '08 Z06 has trouble finding good ultra high performance tires in his rear tire size (345/30-19, iirc). Not sure what the standard C6 uses for rear tire size - hopefully there are more options available for you.

Joe has a good point, though. In your car on that surface you're going to have trouble putting power down regardless of tire compound. The understeer can probably be fixed with a little alignment tweaking.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 26 2010, 03:45 PM
R888 may not be phased out, but I get most of my tires from tirerack and they didn't have any in stock for my last track weekend (3 days before the event, I noticed they were corded).

Need to do some research. Next autocross is in 2 months, right? Gives me time to get some more tires.
There's a BMW event there early August, better hurry up
Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual you guys put on a great event. I need to get some really sticky tires so that I can compete with you guys. The Pirelli Cup tires I am using take a few laps to heat and by that time I am finishing my 4th run. The Pirelli's are great tires for Road Racing, but take a little too long to heat up for Autocross. But for $75 a tire, I can probably live with it for now.

Thanks again for a great event,
Michael
Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by RyanDL,Jul 26 2010, 02:40 PM
I'll take 3rd place behind people who have spent a lot more money than me on their suspension (since I've spent exactly $0).

Ryan
Dang, lots of excuses and smack being thrown around here. Might as well throw out some of mine too.

Still really fighting the setup on Vo's car (we've got a bad slow speed push and some high speed stability issues). But the car seems to be making good grip over all. We were really having to hold back on the transitions on the back side of the course and we were braking earlier than normal going into the corners. Can't get the car really dialed in, but we're debating on another rear spring rate change (3rd times a charm)!

You can't go wrong with a stock S2K suspension, it's as good as it gets from a factory setup. See the results from the first NTAXS event this year when I was driving Dave's car (before the coilovers).

Great event guys! Can't wait for the next one.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 26 2010, 04:43 PM
Only thing I request is that there are more straightaways and less slaloms and tight gates for the next autocross.
I like those too.
But that's usually only doable at Miserable Wells.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jul 26 2010, 01:43 PM]Only thing I request is that there are more straightaways and less slaloms and tight gates for the next autocross.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanDL,Jul 26 2010, 03:40 PM
See you next time. I'll be at Harris Hill in late Aug if anyone is interested in some track time.

I thought about going to this too. They split it into 2 days, both ending by 1. Are you planning on going to the Saturday or Sunday session??
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Miatamoto,Jul 26 2010, 05:51 PM
Dang, lots of excuses and smack being thrown around here. Might as well throw out some of mine too.

Still really fighting the setup on Vo's car (we've got a bad slow speed push and some high speed stability issues). But the car seems to be making good grip over all. We were really having to hold back on the transitions on the back side of the course and we were braking earlier than normal going into the corners. Can't get the car really dialed in, but we're debating on another rear spring rate change (3rd times a charm)!

You can't go wrong with a stock S2K suspension, it's as good as it gets from a factory setup. See the results from the first NTAXS event this year when I was driving Dave's car (before the coilovers).

Great event guys! Can't wait for the next one.
Maybe going back to stock is the fastest way if you're looking at the 3rd time being the charm kind of thing

My excuse was I had diarrhea according to the Racing Excuse Generator...
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad youre stil awake. Enjoy this fellas, It won;t be up for long.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv4fh0-kdKE [/media]

Quick Reply: NTAXS Autocross #5, 7/24/2010, TMS Bus Lot