Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

pmptx had power, davidnyc had handling. Who won? MSR 1.7

Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pmptx had power, davidnyc had handling. Who won? MSR 1.7

So we had an unplanned experiment today at MSR 1.7CCW. We both have same brand, model and size tires. Pete has some NA Gernby power modifications with very slight suspension mod and I have I/H/E with full suspension mods. So who was faster? We both were. Some sections I was slightly faster and some sections he was. It was definitely eye opening to see how good the stock suspension is to an off the shelf coilover. (I didn't test to see what rebound/compression setting is fastest. I just set it and drove).

If a "pro" driver was driving both our cars which would be faster? That is a good question. I think with the better driver handling would win over power (note: i don't mean FI type of power).

What do you think?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big thanks to gernby for the midpipe and tune, as that is key to accessing the power in this engine below 6K. My best time was 1:28.9.
Not bad for stock suspension, no aero, top down, and RS3s.

The C5Z that was SC only got into the 1:28s, so it was a great day and the debate shall rage on.

I agree handling favors the betyter driver, as power can cover a lot of mistakes (and lead to many) as do R comps and slicks.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big thanks to gernby for the midpipe and tune, as that is key to accessing the power in this engine below 6K. My best time was 1:28.9.
Not bad for stock suspension, no aero, top down, and RS3s.

The C5Z that was SC only got into the 1:28s, so it was a great day and the debate shall rage on.

I agree handling favors the better driver, as power can cover a lot of mistakes (and lead to many) as do R comps and slicks.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Depends on the course, more long track sections favors the "power" group, while the tighter course with more curves favors the better handling car. All things being equal I'll take the better handling/braking car over more power.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At MSRC, IMO driver skill > handling > power.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Depends on the course, more long track sections favors the "power" group, while the tighter course with more curves favors the better handling car. All things being equal I'll take the better handling/braking car over more power.
beat me to it. now, more than ever, i believe we have a new category: "tech." you can have something like the GTR than can practically drive the course for you with all of its driver assist features. i for one, am very "anti-tech." one of many reasons why i love the simple, minimalistic set-up that the S2000 offers.

hope to get out to MSR with you guys soon. the car is paid off, tripled up on my small monthly payments to knock it out! with the title in my hand, i will be more comfortable tracking the car.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point' timestamp='1352639627' post='22143666
beat me to it. now, more than ever, i believe we have a new category: "tech." you can have something like the GTR than can practically drive the course for you with all of its driver assist features. i for one, am very "anti-tech." one of many reasons why i love the simple, minimalistic set-up that the S2000 offers.

hope to get out to MSR with you guys soon. the car is paid off, tripled up on my small monthly payments to knock it out! with the title in my hand, i will be more comfortable tracking the car.
You've obviously never driven a GT-R on track even with the nannies on the car can still easily kill you if you are not a good driver. It's so powerful and rwd biased on corner exit that you can go from understeer to snap oversteer in the blink of an eye. At 3/4 speed it's easy to drive but not at the limit.

I've raced everything from s2000s, miatas, m3, Cayman s and the GT-R is pretty hairy when pushed hard compared to those cars.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's the complete opposite of what i experienced riding in my friends. he upped the psi and had an hks exhaust. the things came off the apex like a fwd car.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
that's the complete opposite of what i experienced riding in my friends. he upped the psi and had an hks exhaust. the things came off the apex like a fwd car.
Then he was not driving it 10/10ths, or using the gas hard on corner exit. It biases to nearly full rwd on application of gas.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not quite right to call Peter's advantage "power", since most of the gains for him are in the midrange. With the mid-pipe and tune, he has about 8-13% more torque from 4K - 6K, which provides a lot of benefit on corner exits.

Quick Reply: pmptx had power, davidnyc had handling. Who won? MSR 1.7