Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

is rebulit title better than Salverage title?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is rebulit title better than Salverage title?

as topic

if a car has rebuilt title, is it better than salverage title? or they are the same?

I know you guys strongly against cars with salverage title, but just wondering if it's rebuilt title, does it mean differetnly to you?

the seller said the rebuilt title is caused by the theif cutted the top and stole the seats(all replaced), he stated no accidents and no body works whatsoever..

the price is attrative, what your knowledge about rebuit title cars? will insurance cover it if something happen in future?

I'd really appreciate any inputs from you, the facts are always welcome!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Some people might think that rebuilt is the same as salvage title, but what rebuilt title mean is that : before the car was salvage and then was fix by a bodyshop to meet all the safety standard of the Texas motors department.....and it's as good as new despite the fact that the value of the car will drop. Sometime the salvage vehicle (total loss) doesn't actually mean that the car was serious damage beyond repair. It's all up to the insurance policy.

Since i used to buy and sell cars i always tried to stay away from the salvage or rebuit title cars because of value drop. But if i buying the car for myself to drive and the price is too good to pass it up the i'll definitely buying it. Also, keep in mind that some of the insurance agencies will not sell you the full cover on the rebuilt or salvage title. They will sell you what i called 1 1/2 cover. And so make sure that you talk to your insurance about that before buying the S because i wouldn't go without a full cover on it.....unless you are a baller and have plenty money to fix the S yourself.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even realize there was a rebuilt title.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

In my opinion, neither one rubs me the right way. The damage may have been fixed properly, but something still happened to the car. And, as viets2k stated, the value of the car is significantly less than a clean title car if you were to sell it. Regarding this particular car you're talking about, I can see where you'd be on the fence. If the slashed top and seats were the only things that caused the rebuilt title, then it might be something to look at. However, I'd keep looking if you ever planned to sell it later on. I don't remember how many s2ks I looked at before I bought my 01. When the right one comes along, you'll know it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 AM

they both mean the car was ****ed...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dainese919,Mar 24 2008, 09:41 PM
as topic

if a car has rebuilt title, is it better than salverage title? or they are the same?

the seller said the rebuilt title is caused by the theif cutted the top and stole the seats(all replaced), he stated no accidents and no body works whatsoever..
Usually, when someone says this, it's an absolute load of horsesh!t. $15k+ cars do not get totaled because of a slashed top and two stolen seats, regardless of what this bonehead wants you to believe.

Personally, I'd stay far, far away from salvage or rebuilt title cars. Even further away if I had no knowledge of what caused the insurance company to write them off in the first place. Especially if there is no obvious sign of repaired body damage, because that means it was probably a flood car. Water and cars don't mix well at all.

You'll have a difficult time finding insurance for it. You'll have a difficult time finding financing for it (most banks don't want to deal with salvage or rebuilt cars). You'll have a lot of trouble trying to sell it. If all that hassle is worth a couple of grand savings to you, then I wish you good luck. You'll probably need it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM

I agreed^^. Slashed top and stolen seats won't cause the insurance to write off the car. Total BS. But then again....whom knew I would do a carfax check on that car and if that not convince me then i would take it to the mechanic & bodyshop to check it out before buying it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

salvaged and rebuild title are the same. you will receive a rebuild title once you get it repaired
Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 AM

I don't know, the impression I've always got was that our seats are super expensive from Honda and they could total out a car. Not sure if it's true, but I've reads few posts here on s2ki that have mentioned it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Skychaser,Mar 25 2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know, the impression I've always got was that our seats are super expensive from Honda and they could total out a car. Not sure if it's true, but I've reads few posts here on s2ki that have mentioned it.
The seats if bought brand new from Honda piece by piece and assembled are something like 2-3 thousand each IIRC. That adds up to maybe 5 or 6K plus a top which is $1000-$1500 isn't really 60-70%+ of even a $15K S2000.

Quick Reply: is rebulit title better than Salverage title?