Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Soft Top problem?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Soft Top problem?

After the strong winds from the storm the other day i've noticed a strange clicking noise coming from behind the drivers seat when raising and lowering my top.
Also the top is visually doing a ticking type motion when raising and lowering.
Just the other night after riding around with the top down I noticed that the top didn't want to raise at all on the drivers side. The passenger side of the top was trying to move but that driver's side was not. I had to get out and pull up on the top while pressing the button to get it to go up all the way.

Could it be a problem with the electric motor? That's that it kinda sounds like.

Anyone know what this might be before i take it to the stealership to have them check it out??

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Ok well I took it to the dealership and it appears that the soft top motor on the driver's side seems to the the problem, and they said that the warranty company would not cover any kind of repairs to the top what-so-ever.

However, I called the 1800 number on my warranty information card and I talked to a representative that said that if the soft top motor was the problem then it could be fixed under warranty. Parts and labor paid for.

My new question now is does anyone know of a good dealership to do the the work? Vandergriff claims that it's not under warranty and wants to charge me upwards of $400 just to take the top apart and "look around" for a problem.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Where are you located??
I have dealt with Goodson, Lute Riley and John Eagle.

I would bet that the dealer is claiming that because the allowed warranty amount is less then what he wants to make on the repair and time spent by a one of his techs.

Call Honda and find out the allowed amount...then you have some knowledge of what the warranty kick back is the the dealer and the hourly rate and time Honda is allowing on this warranty issue.
If you can have Honda fax you a statement that it is covered under warranty....

I know a few other Honda dealers in the area....the new one in Frisco is the last one I assisted with the shop lay out.

Good luck.
JD
Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 AM

Thanks, I'm in Arlington and I bought the car from Vandergriff but they don't seem to be any help ever so I was looking for other options.

I'll try calling the warranty company again and see if they can fax me some kind of statement. They claimed that any parts related to the soft top operation itself should be covered, but not the actual top such as if there were a hole or some problem like that.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Hey Brian,

I will never go anywhere but Huggins Honda!! They really know what customer service is and I will never buy a Honda anywhere else!! I have never dealt with anyone in service that didnt try to run everything through warranty first!!! Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM

once again thanks for the reply.

I called Huggins and scheduled a service appointment. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Hey Brian..did the get you taken care of???

you top fixed?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 AM

not yet. They had to backorder a part so i'm waiting on that to arrive. Should be some time this week. We'll see.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you bought the car new from Vandergriff Honda?

I'm assuming warranty you mean you have an extended warranty since an '02 is out of the factory warranty.

Vandergriff/David McDavid Honda do not sell Manufacturer backed warranties. You get some third party company doing it.

Wouldn't be as much of a problem if it were a HondaCare VSC.

The service advisor makes the same on the repairs if you pay for it or if the warranty company pays for it. So I doubt that was the reason.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 PM

I bought the car used.

It's still covered under the certified 12 month/ 12000.

Vandergriff isn't very friendly and they never care to address any of my problems since i'm a younger s2000 owner.

Quick Reply: Soft Top problem?