Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Those that attended the May 10th autocross today!

Old 05-10-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 407 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Those that attended the May 10th autocross today!

I had a good time, but was wondering why the two Gregs, etc. were kicking my butt. We all know it can't be car or driving skill. Anyway, my car was really pushing a lot more than normal, really felt bad, like I was driving my old Prelude or something.

Anyway, get the car home and take the race tires off. Both front tires were corded really bad, like chunks of rubber were missing with the belts showing on signicant portions of the tire. They looked a little thin this morning and must have started cording on the way out the autocross. You guys lucked out this time, hopefully I'll have some new r compounds for the next autocross.

On that note, any suggestions for a good, economical r compound tire? Thanks, guys!!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuses, excuses.....

Myself, I was sandbagging for last place so I can get an award for most improved later this year.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if anyone kept a copy of the course map. I'd really like to have copy, so if someone could scan it in and send it to me, I'd be very appreciative.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:16 PM

I thought the event went really well, despite the heat in the afternoon!
I was out there in my blue Civic sedan, and was suprised to see how many non-S2Ks were out there!

Oh, and is anyone going to post everyone's fastest times by rank??
Old 05-10-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 407 Likes on 226 Posts

Gernby,

So, who ended up winning the top few spots?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]
Nope.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Davidov
I thought the event went really well, despite the heat in the afternoon!
What heat? If you want heat, wait until the July-September autocrosses! Yesterday was very mild, in comparison.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:20 AM

Yeah one of those displays like the BMW club would be excellent! (all we need is $$$$)

The course was a little different this time. Not bad, just different. It appeared to be simple than it actually was.

Gear selection was a key and for whatever reason I was traction limited all day. There was no reason for it I could find, but I smoked the tires at several places on the track when accelerating out of a corner and my back end was very happy!

I still have the same complaint I always have when running only 4 cars to a group - you do not have time to change air pressures without holding up the group. You can lower the pressure, if you are quick, but you cannot raise it. I think 6 to a group would be better as it would allow time to make whatever adjustments you need.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuan and I were comparing notes and agreed that grip was down in afternoon heat (4th vs 2nd), at least for Kuhmo Victoracers starting to show their age. There were places that we could hold full throttle in the morning that required we back off in the afternoon. For example the long left sweeper at the northeast corner. I had to feather throttle on many offsets in the afternoon that I took full throttle in the morning.

This is not the first time I've seen Mineral Wells lose grip as it heats up.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby [B]

I was highly surprised and frustrated to find out that ALL of my afternoon runs resulted in lower times.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 PM

The only reason I didn't like the 4 to a group run setup was the fact that I couldn't take a few minutes between runs to think about areas that needed improvement.

I probably could have taken the MR2 out, but I was getting a little to excited on the last 2 laps. (i.e. sliding a little to close to the timing equipment!)

Quick Reply: Those that attended the May 10th autocross today!