Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Vortech Dyno Results 297.9 WHP!

Old 08-17-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was heat soaked and that effected the performance tremendously. If we made one run from a roll or dead stop I would kill a stock S2000. I pulled 5 car lengths on stock EVO on Saturday night by the time I hit 85 mph. I also wasn't on it due to the fact I had a squishy pedal. I wasn't confident in the brakes at the end of the front straight. The first few laps the car was real strong. I think the water in the aftercooler was just too hot plus the car started to over heat. I believe the ECU was working overtime on pulling timing out. When I left the event after letting my car cool down for 2 hours, it felt totally different.

After today, I am thinking about adding an additional radiator for the after cooler system so that I can get more total volume of fluid circulated and increasing the surface space for additional cooling. The water will go through a 2 stage cooling process before it makes its final pass through the aftercooler.

Ask typesh how I was driving after you left and after I blead the back brakes at the track.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:27 PM

I turned the heater on in the last session.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:13 PM

I have been thinking about this all evening. The performance of the SC in a hot track environment was very disappointing and it deteriorated very quickly in the afternoon. I bet I lost well over 60 hp.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Heat is a huge problem on most superchargers. Kinda sucks.

Maybe a little n20 to cool things off.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You were running very rich - when I was behind you I noticed a significant amount of dark smoke coming out of our tailpipes with every shift. Could be a tuning issue, could be a heat-soak issue, I dunno.

How does the water for the aftercooler dump its heat? I assume there's another radiator somewhere?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 AM

yes, there is a radiator mounted in front of the condensor unit. I was thinking about dropping an additional radiator in to the loop.

I think I may have to hit the dyno again for more tuning.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:45 PM

Just FYI...

Not sure if you are aware, but the stock Honda temp gauges are horribly inaccurate, and I imagine the electronic units in the S2K are no different. I hope you're using an aftermarket water temp gauge with your S/C.

Granted, it was one hot mother this weekend, but I think you should be able to come up with a way to make the S/C reliable with heavy operation (read: track time) on hot days. Personally, if a mod can't stand up to repeated lapping, it has no place on my car.

Good luck!

Ryan
Old 08-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

TypeSH did say you were running faster in the later part of the day. However, he said that he still pulled away from you after a lap or two. Although that is significant, I was hoping (expecting) better from the SC. As it looks right now, you would have shaved more time from Hoosiers than from the SC.

I am looking forward to the next autocross. I think the closest you have been to me with similar tires was about .2 seconds, so I would hope that you at least beat me by .3 seconds this Saturday... That said, whenever a Z06 shows up on R compounds, they typically beat me by 2+ seconds on BMW's courses.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:09 PM

Typesh didn't pull away from me on the straight way. I backed off due to brakes. I was also staying behind him in order to see the "perfect line" in my eyes. I wasn't going to ride his ass, but I made my presence noticeable. The SC was taking a beating and performance was definitely lost and very noticeable. The car felt different late last night and early today.

btw, in the first session I pulled away from you in the striaght away. And that was with a 200lbs+ passenger plus my heavy ass.

The over all track performance wasn't what I expected from the SC. I had passengers in 2 of the 3 sessions. Although, Gernby I know you did to. I still have alot to learn on the track. I know that I am not pushing my car hard enough in the corners or chicanes. My tires don't talk back to me at all. A straightline is a straightline. I know that I can improve my times in cornering and braking.

I have plans to ceramic coat the intake manifold, the outside of the aftercooler, super charger housing and header. I know that this would reduce underhood temps and heat soak. Along with a 2 stage cooling process for the aftercooler water cooling system.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:17 PM

Congrats on the supercharger. But I don't know if you have any prior experience with Alamo, but I will say that you could not pay me enough to take my car to Alamo. Most of the guys are just thug idiots. I have a good friend that I referred to them to get his 300ZX tuned with his Safc. The car was on the dyno and after the first run, they guy running it says

Tuner: "man, I think one of your turbo's are bad".

My buddy: "Maybe that's because it's not the twin turbo"

Overall, any time I have been there, I have had nothing but bad service and I felt as if I were about to be "beaten" into a gang or something.

But anyways, congrats on your SC and I hope you have fun with it. I just wanted to share my experience with Alamo.

Quick Reply: Vortech Dyno Results 297.9 WHP!