Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Vortech SC install Progress

Old 07-28-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about it more.
I think you should splice the VAFC harness and see what happen. If it work then you woohoo .... and your ECU wirings are still intact (it's one of the reason why you bought the harness in the first place isn't it?). If it fail to work then it's only the harness that you plice up...so you don't have to worry about it too much.

Good luck and let me know how you go with it Jeremy
In a way it's good being so far away and installing this set up last
Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 PM

Well I just got home. There are 3 major pieces missing to mount the SC to the bracket. I'll specify which pieces later. I am thinking about splicing the harness if it is easy to find the corresponding wire. We haven't got to the electronics on my kit as of yet. We should be done with everything else tomorrow night and the electronics will be finished off Wed. Night. The install is much easier the second time around. We started around 9 and finished at 1:30am.

The crank pulley will be tackled tomorrow night along with the oil pan, fuel pump, FMU vacuum lines, water reservoir, fittings, hoses, heat exchanger, water pump w/ electronics and air box.

We would have most likely have been finished with the Installation of kit # 2 tomorrow, if we weren't missing a few critical pieces. I expect vortech to overnight the missing pieces to me ASAP.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:24 AM

Jeremy, just make sure that the signal flow this way
***From memory of what I read a couple of months back***
MAP>>BLACKBOX>>VAFC>>ECU

I understand that you tapped the harness but make sure the signal flow this way. You should not see boost at the VAFC.
See this thread

Good luck and please let me know how you tap the harness as I will start my installation (hopefully) next week.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:45 AM

How are things going Jery?
Have you finish yet?
You have not forgotten us yet have you? Don't over enjoy it too much I may need your help in the next 7 days
Old 07-31-2003, 02:02 PM

OK. Here is the final finished running product on my car. I started at 8pm last night and finished at 5:30 this morning. This is NOT a one man job. Lucky for me I always had one more person to help. The electronics are not as hard as many people have said. Follow the diagram not the instructions and everything will be just fine. The only wires you mess with are the wires going into the 25 pin, 31 and 32 pin connectors that run into the ECU.

It will be awhile before I write up some more install tips. The amount of time, effort, cuts, bruises and pain in my ass work that went in to this. I would consider doing an install for another owner in the area ONLY if money was involved, otherwise FORGET IT! We managed to install kits on 2 cars in 1.5 weeks and that was with taking a 2 day break over the weekend.

I also took the vafc out until someone can tell me for sure how to wire this up.

Regular S2K?

OR NOT?

Old 07-31-2003, 02:07 PM

I am very happy with the satin finish due to the fact that nothing under the hood is polished. I think we did a very clean installation. I have not have any check engine lights or SRS light come on. You need to disconnect the battery completely. We did not do this on the blue S above and the SRS light is on. We wired the car the same way, the only difference was we left the positive battery cable on and the negative removed. On my install we removed both + and -.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How does it sound? Is it quiet without the AEM? Is the exhaust louder? How is your throttle response and low end power?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CMiS2K
I am very happy with the satin finish due to the fact that nothing under the hood is polished. I think we did a very clean installation. I have not have any check engine lights or SRS light come on. You need to disconnect the battery completely. We did not do this on the blue S above and the SRS light is on. We wired the car the same way, the only difference was we left the positive battery cable on and the negative removed. On my install we removed both + and -.
Why would the SC cause the SRS light to come on? I think that should be investigated, as the two shouldn't be related.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 AM

mxt_77,
Don't ask me. But it has happened with several other owners. The only link that I came up with was they all left the + battery cable connected. I disconnected + & - and I have had no problems at all. I need to figure out how to connect the VAFC and harness so that it will work with the MAP box and Black box.

I need someone to take a look at the wiring diagrams and figure out how to integrate the piggy back systems together.

gernby,

the car is not quiet at all. at anything less than 50% throttle the blow off valve is sounding off. The exhaust is about the same except you can tell more exhaust is coming out. The car picks up at 4K and pulls all the way to 9K. I can get to 100 mph faster now than any car I have ever driven. The stock clutch can't hold the shift point at 8-9K rpms, there is a delay once the gear is in place.

3500 RPMs highway cruising speed of 65 in 6th gear no blow off valve sound or anything at all, it sounds stock, which is great for a sleeper pull on somebody.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, there is no difference between disconnecting 1 battery terminal, and disconnecting 2. That is not the issue.

Quick Reply: Vortech SC install Progress