Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

What a pain in the butt it was selling my Saab

Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a pain in the butt it was selling my Saab

Hehe

This was the summary of my day yesterday afternoon and evening:

So here I am, trying to sell the Saab privately so I can get into an S2000. Had a couple come see it Wednesday then called me Thursday to say definately interested.

I wanted to do an in and out deal on a S2000 in Lewisville yesterday at a dealer.

The guy buying my Saab, Herb, says to me:

Look, as we are doing you a favour by doing this in and out and saving you some sales tax, we'll cut you a deal. We will pay you 15k for your Saab (the price is 12k), you save even more on sales tax, and write us a check back for $3000.

Duh...

So I says, no mate, not gonna happen. I'm a motivated seller and the car is a VERY good price (they have a 2001 Saab like mine at Carmax for 16,000, my car is a 2002) already.

Then he says, ahh, but the check (from Capital One Auto Finance) is already made out for 15000 as we needed to cover off TTL and were hoping you would work with us.

Let's take a step back here and consider this. HE is asking me to aid him in defrauding the finance company? I am an accountant - financial crimes (no matter how small) tend to lose you your career. Not only that, I am (a Brit) in the US on a visa and could be asked to leave the country over a scam like that. I told him this, as politely as possible!

So, he backs down a little and I explain to him if he wants to cover TTL in his check then the in and out deal is ideal for him, he can pay it all in one lump sum check to the dealer.

Ahh but, says he, so we are saving you money on sales tax and we get nothing back? Well, he says, if that is how you want to play it we think you should give us a couple of hundred bucks back so we can share in your saving.

At this point he tells me his Capital One auto finance check is in fact blank and his wife "got confused" earlier when she said to him it was already printed out in my name for 15k.

I wanted to say 'WELL FOOK YOU THEN' and slam the phone down on him, as we had had about 4 or 5 phone calls with eachother by this point. We agreed to disagree and left it at that.

9pm comes and goes, dealership is closed. Dealership is closed today as well, of course. I email him at 11pm offering to just sell the car to him as a private sale today, and of course this means I forego $750 sales tax saving. Easy deal, he comes with the check for 12k, he drives off in the Saab.

An hour or so later, the twat emails me back saying they will do a deal for 13k, and I am to give them 1000 back. I can wait 3 weeks for their check to clear if I so desire in order to eliminate any financial risk.

I returned his email saying look, its a good solid car, priced really well, the price is 12k take it or leave it as I have others interested.

He is pushing for a deal this weekend as his mother in law is actually going to be the titleholder (she is actually the one who has got the finance arranged) and she needs/wants to be present when the deal is done. Mother lives in Austin and made a special trip up to DFW. So before anyone suggests I push for him to go to the dealer tomorrow, this is not an option with this particular buyer.

Haven't heard back yet.

Now was I being unreasonable, selling a car below market value and refusing to aid him in defrauding Capital One?

I have all this 'wheeling and dealing' of his in writing as well... should I contact CapOne and let them know what this guy was trying to pull, regardless of whether or not he buys the car off me?

I kind of suspect the mother in law doesnt know what deals hes been trying to do.

Oh fuxsox. Why cant life be simple? I could have had a nice S2K in my garage to wake up to today if not for this numptie!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:04 AM

You are handling this exactly right. The tax savings on $3k, roughly $200, is hardly worth the risk as you already pointed out. Besides, it's just wrong. Something smells on this deal.

If you end up taking a check (personal or bank check) from them, be sure to keep the car until everything is good from a financial point. You will want to contact the bank that the check is drawn on to be sure that it is the real deal. Just because it clears your bank doesn't mean that it might not come back.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 AM

Well unless I missed something (very possible, as I just woke up so brain isn't at full capacity yet, haha) offering to "buy the car for more" and then get cash back is something the dealerships have done for years and I'm not quite sure that it's illegal... maybe he should have tried to work something w/ the dealership on that one. Then again I'm not really too familiar w/ the "in and out" deal.

If you really do have other buyers waiting, or don't mind waiting for another buyer and you're not comfortable dealing with this guy then wait. If you do sell it to this guy, be sure to raise the price $500 (or even the full $750) to offset the taxes since that would have been part of the orig deal.

It's rediculous... I've got a truck listed for $6500, blue books for somewhere around $7300 and people are offering me $4500... piss off, I could get that from CarMax. (If anybody's interested it's a 2000 Ford Ranger, 3.0L Manual, just under 75K, power everything, haha) So much for it being a better deal to sell as a private seller.

If you're selling it so far under value then what is the dealership willing to offer you? Have you tried calling a Saab dealership to see if they'll buy w/o a sale? Somebody suggested that to me, and that's my next step after things calm down at school haha.

As far as Cap-1 goes I wouldn't worry about it... I mean as long as he's paying his monthly payments, technically they'll end up on top since he'll be paying more interst.

Good luck,
-Doug
Old 10-09-2005, 09:14 AM

Dealers are offering me 9000-9500 in trade.

Retail on the car would be 15000-16000. As much as I appreciate the dealer has to make a profit, my car needs no reconditioning (full Saab history, just serviced) and could go straight onto a forecourt.

No way am I letting a dealer make 7000 bucks on the deal!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:31 AM

So.............you're anti-capitalist.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Oct 9 2005, 09:31 AM
So.............you're anti-capitalist.
Not at all! It's more about me potentially 'losing' 3k on a car so that would make me a capitalist!

Perhaps I used the wrong words in my previous post. Just its a solid reliable car which I would like to see go to a good home via a private sale. To you guys it's a clutchless Swedish box on wheels, to me it is my baby!

Also, I prefer to buy privately myself as you get all the maintenance receipts. If you buy from a dealer you do not get any documentation because of privacy laws.

<cynical mode on>

The dealer will tell you anything to sell the car, so if you ask if it has regular maintenance what do you think they are going to say?

<cynical mode off>
Old 10-09-2005, 02:58 PM

I say report them to Capital One.. I got my Z71 through them with the Blank Check.. and to participate there are tons and tons of rules... I bought mine from a dealership but I'm sure they have just as many rules for private party. I'm sure that is one of them

I could only buy from certain dearlerships. the dealership had to call before I could do anything, they faxed junk back and forth.. I only had a certain # of days (like 15) to use it. it was a pain in the butt
Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Well they backed down and purchased the Saab for the agreed 12000, although I double checked everything (verified the Capital One check, copied all drivers licenses etc)

I now have an empty garage and am wondering who I can get a ride into work with in the morning!!!!!!

Anyone live near Burleson?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 PM

looks like you are taking Columbus Day off
Old 10-09-2005, 07:15 PM

A colleague in Arlington is going to swing by, but yeah, I'd ratehr take the day off to look at S2Ks

Quick Reply: What a pain in the butt it was selling my Saab