UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Arran Meet 5 - Reviews

Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arran Meet 5 - Reviews

Hi

Arran Meet 5 turned into another memorable event, despite heavy rain on the Sunday.

Most people arrived on Friday, attracting a lot of rubbernecking off the ferry as the largest number of S2000's hit Arran.

Saturday started with our customary display in Brodick, a few blasts around the bay in the speedboat and then lunch, all without rain at this point.

Then a drive around Arran's southern coastline, meeting a Dougarie for the commencement of what would be a very eye-opening "treasure hunt".

Saturday night we had ten portable barbecues lit, smoking out most of the village as the midges descended on us.

Sunday was the extraordinary Can-Oban-Ball run, leaving the island en-masse on one specially chartered ferry (we got 19 cars on - the capacity is only 18!). We had the roofs down for around 45 minutes all day, due to heavy rain and spray but I know that we had fun and the roads were excellent. It was a 130-mile tour to Easdale, Oban, Loch Awe (where we had lunch) and Inveraray Castle.

Safely back, we had our treasure hunt results and then yes, more beer.

Firstly, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who made it to Arran for the fifth major meet here. We broke the record (although I still don't know how many cars came - was it 23?). It is always a priviledge to organise this meet for such nice folk and I hope the weather does not put you off coming next year.

Secondly, this meet in particular shows the true nature of two very different types of people - there are the very helpful, considerate, fun-loving and friendly meet attendees and then there are others - the old gits, grumblers and (thankfully very few) locals who simply can't allow poeple to have a good time, under the speed limit. I guess we're all used to being told to slow down when we're doing 17 in a 30 ( ) but attempts at physical assault are a new one on me. Rest assured, vengeance will be sweet

Thirdly, my thanks especially to those who assisted yesterday in the rain on the road to Brodick. To Gary for his continual support, those that helped with the shopping and those who ended up being the chefs for the barbecues. Lastly, thanks to Fletch for the chance to drive the 5.7 litre Corvette. Hmmmm.. You've got me thinking.... Cheers, to all.

The Highlights

> Cars on display. Always a good looking bunch of motors, greatly assisted by Marc's stunning Lotus and Tim's NSX.

> The Oban Trip. Okay, so it rained but it was a great blast and definately one to repeat next year. We even managed to "doughnut" the ferry! At our picnic, in a layby on a long curve in the road, we witnessed one of those rare automotive moments - a huge fire engine, lights ablaze and siren wailing, with the crew staring over at us whils their vehicle managed to almost drift around the corner . How the driver had time to wave and beep his horn is beyond me.

> The treasure hunt was clearly one that was taken very seriously. So serious, I am hesitant about putting the links online! I'll get around to it.

Thanks once again and please email/PM about various things discussed on Sunday evening. My email is graham (@) arrangraphics (dot) com

Okay guys, the rest is up to you. TTIUWP.

Graham
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:foottap:
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 AM

Home! - although thankfully didn't have to go too far

A massive thank you to Graham for all the work he put in to organising this meet - organising food, a cracking route, a treasure hunt (for which we are still claiming a moral victory ) and all the other bits and bobs that went in to making this a fantastic and memorable weekend.

Great to see some old friends from last year and to meet a good few more of the Southern bunch.

Safe journeys home to all and see you for the next one.

Simon and Charlotte

Pics to follow....
Old 08-06-2007, 06:17 AM

Weather's gorgeous in Edinburgh.

Bah

Pics on their way.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Graham again for a well organised and pleasant meet. I loved the Oban run, and our 4 car 'dash' for the ferry. Shame about the rain, but if you could've done something about it, you would have.

Nice to meet old friends again, and to make some new ones.

Thanks to Steven as well for organising the flats.

I had some funny looks driving from the ferry to Hamilton with the top down in the rain.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 AM

The first of my pics, although I only took about 30!

Our display of cars ...

The big guys....

The people (or some of them!)...

Refuelling in Lochgilphead during the Oban run...

Today's farewell line-up. (Just some of the attendees). Even Janine and Carter (centre, kneeling) left Arran for the night, so I am on my own, .... with Gary and the Noons, that is!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I got the first ferry back, and glad I did, otherwise I would still be on the road

Yesterday was the hottest day this year down here!!

Pics coming soon, but I hardly took any!

Thanks to everyone for making it special once again expecially Roadie

See ya at the next AM Graham, unless you can make another soon (Isle of man? )

I will post my few pics asap
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 AM

And my very favourite

Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Great pics as ever Mr Badger

Quick Reply: Arran Meet 5 - Reviews