UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Cops 'n Convoys!!

Old 03-27-2003, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cops 'n Convoys!!

This is a copy of a post on the CTR Forum...

We were in a 7 car CTR convey when we got stopeed in the middle of a busy roundabout just to ask "Is there a forum we don't know about?" We didn't reply but they'll prob be on the lookout for us now so beware when you goto your upcoming CTR meets.

I'm going to try and find out more about this incident, and bug a few cops about whether this is a widespread practice!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The feds are checking many forums nowadays! There was an incident at a 'UNOFFICIAL SOCIAL' meet over on the Honda-R forum last year and when the Feds went around to take statements they had printouts of the thread and knew pretty much everything! Also someone had printed off routes and pace notes (stupid stupid idea there!), the Police had these also........
There was zero reflection or comeback on the Club, it was not anything to do with Honda-R. Hope that clears that

But in fairness, if your not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about, personally I keep venues and times off of forums nowadays as muppets/car jackers and tea leafs are a problem, but the Police arn't such an issue. I know of a couple of CTR drivers that are Feds and they've joined me on a couple of Shandy-R meets that were posted on the Honda-R forum, doesn't mean they can't have fun within the law and with zero stupid stuff.........

Matty
Old 03-27-2003, 02:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I advise in future (as I tried to suggest on MMM) to discuss all meets publically BUT all times and dates become a matter for private forums or PMs.

Private forurms would be easy to manage and could be directed away from this site if the site owners are not happy to help., or total email/PM managebility (not that easy).

We need to stay ahead of this.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:16 AM

I think I will post on Pistonheads in a tick as there are some boys in blue on there and we can see what the lowdown is on this
Old 03-27-2003, 02:41 AM

Good idea, let's get some feedback on this. I've put loads of groundbait out and I'm just waiting for the nibbles! I suspect this is going to be area specific, but let's get asking!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:45 AM

Routes, you can keep a secret and only issue to bona-fide attendees at the last minute on a "need to know" basis.

I don't see how you can possibly organise a meet and keep dates and times secret
Old 03-27-2003, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Matt555 There was an incident at a meet over on the Honda-R forum last year [/B]
I wish to clarify - this WAS NOT a Honda-R meet. It was an unofficial 'Shandy-R' meet organised using our forum.
We steer clear of organised drives due to the problems with a large number of drivers trying to enjoy a spirited drive en-mass.

We organise static shows, social meets, karting and trackdays and convoys - but Convoys are to be driven at appropriate speeds and allow observers to see the nice array of cars driving past - not just hear them speeding past.

I have been aware of police monitoring since well before this incident that Matt mentions, however that has no bearing on the Club stance as we adopt a safe attitude regardless. We even have Club members who work for the police and attend our meets. One such chap was at Gaydon.

I used to ride bikes - and found that it is too risky having a group riding quickly - you will always have differing levels of skill and experience and some feel the need to 'show off' their skills, and others feel pressured to keep up and are then riding/driving beyond their ability.

7 cars is prob. okay - but greater numbers IMO should be convoys, not spirited cross country drives.

Enjoy your cars, meet with fellow enthusiasts - but keep it safe. Act responsibly and police knowing your actions should not be a problem. In fact it can be an aid - the majority are still there for our safety and protection, not revenue collection.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
This is a copy of a post on the CTR Forum...

We were in a 7 car CTR convey when we got stopeed in the middle of a busy roundabout just to ask "Is there a forum we don't know about?" We didn't reply but they'll prob be on the lookout for us now so beware when you goto your upcoming CTR meets.

I'm going to try and find out more about this incident, and bug a few cops about whether this is a widespread practice!
OTOH - at the risk of getting flamed - depends a bit where you are coming from - you cd see it as a sensible use of resource - can't take much wit to automatically trawl the sites looking for keywords.

Do they only go after sports car | biker sites?? Or are they into all sorts of rallies - caravans , for example?

Thinking of the very tolerant guy on SM1 who sat very patiently on a single track road waiting for the procession to pass, or the 'I'm-not-quite-sure-where-we-are-going-better-overtake-here-although-I-shdn't-so-I-don't-lose-the-flock' approach or even the good old competitive spirit?

Thinking of all those post-prandial dozers, stooging along at 35 on a Sunday afternoon, who suddenly get stirred out of Nirvana as 60 bikers weave past (and I have the greatest possible respect for bikers )

Just saying that this needs to be put in context with their tracking of demos etc etc. E.g., our local animal rights folk - and I will stay carefully neutral here - always seem to attract police presence when they demonstrate outside the labs.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
Routes, you can keep a secret and only issue to bona-fide attendees at the last minute on a "need to know" basis.

Yeah I'd go with that, you could mention that it will take so long to get to the venue and I'd say there's no need to shout about routes......

Sammy to quote you
"I wish to clarify - this WAS NOT a Honda-R meet. It was an unofficial 'Shandy-R' meet organised using our forum.
We steer clear of organised drives due to the problems with a large number of drivers trying to enjoy a spirited drive en-mass."

I should have made that more clear, I'll go and change that now......

As you know there have been no incidents when I've arranged a Shandy-R (other than me hitting a Deer! ), you should also know what my thoughts are on spirited driving in a group. BIG NO NO which was why I recalled Shandy-R meets to be sorted by myself, especcially after the disrespect shown at the one where I was in France..... Can you deny the disrespect shown that day, I don't think so?

Try not to be so defensive, you could have just got me to edit my reply! We all know how good Honda-R is and I'm still a member!
If you remember I sorted an Unofficial Convoy to Gaydon last time! Was it 80 motors in the end, we had no incidents and that was not an official Club Convoy!

Why?

Matt
Old 03-27-2003, 04:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt555
[B]The feds are checking many forums nowadays!

Quick Reply: Cops 'n Convoys!!