UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Meet: British Grand Prix Mini-meet

Old 05-23-2004, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who's going to the British Grand Prix and who fancies trying to meet up at some point on the Friday afternoon or Saturday?

There's not much point in trying to meet up on the Sunday, as it might be a little busy

S2kiers going to the GP

Neil_s2k & Amanda
Chrisr111 & Gill
Gsi
Ianl & Tim
Old 05-23-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be there all 3 days Neil - I generally camp and would be happy to meet up for a chat an a beer.

As for Sunday being busy................not anymore its not - combination of severly restricted addmission no's (~75k I think - in the halcylon days of Mansell-Mania they where packing ~150k in there!) and the great British public loosing interest.

Anyone going to watch the cars blat up and down Regent St on the 6th (6-8pm)???? I will mosey along if I'm in the country - even if they are told to behave (which I am sure they will be) the noise should be brilliant.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:38 AM

We normally camp as well Ian, but I think Amanda's organising some proper sleeping arrangements this year.

What's the traffic like now Ian? I haven't been for the last two years. We always used to queue for an hour to get to the campsites on a Friday night
Old 05-23-2004, 08:42 AM

Traffic flow is now very much improved - the road infrastructure changes are now finished and there are enourmous hard-standing car parks near the main enterance - you will not recognise the place!!!!!

Where do you usually camp???? I have forgotten the name of the farm I camp on, but it is directly behind the pitstraight - whilst not exactly quiet, it is not quite as manic as some of the other sites.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:49 AM

We camp at the last campsite at the Stowe end of the circuit. It used to let us avoid all the traffic on Sunday afternoon. It was a private farmers field with minimal facilities - 1 toilet caravan with no lights
Old 05-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Never been, i might go this year, if i cant get corporate, might have to do it myself
Old 05-23-2004, 12:12 PM

The stage is set for Jenson's first win at Silverstone
Old 05-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
- 1 toilet caravan with no lights
Luxury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The place we camp is much the same - a very, very old and iffy caravan between about 200....by Saturday night it is very Still a little careful planning (including using the very nice modern.....and free .....showers in the media centre (access available to all once the circuit has shut for the day).......and as a little bonus, if you are sneaky, have some bottle and a little good fortune, an hour or two free access to the pits on Sat. evening is by no means unheard of:

Old 05-23-2004, 12:52 PM

Nice pics

We got in the pits on a Saturday evening when Alesi was racing with Benetton. we've also had Saturday morning pitlane walkabout tickets a couple of times. We've met Jenson in his first season at Williams, chatted to Johnny Herbert about his Skyline R33, almost been knocked over by Alesi on his scooter, and Salo on his Harley. Great days.

It looks like the centre area is closed this year to the public, so no centre transfers which is a real shame, and no showers in the media centre
Old 05-23-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
.............and no showers in the media centre
Oh bollocks!!!!! Looks like Tim and I get smelly

Quick Reply: Meet: British Grand Prix Mini-meet