UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Scotmeet 3 - forward planning

Old 08-05-2003, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scotmeet 3 - forward planning

I think we agreed at the last meet to consider another scotmeet in the late summer / early autumn.

To allow people to make plans etc, does anyone have any views on the following :

1. Dates / timing

2. Location

3. Format

It would be nice to involve a slightly longer route / highland tour (A93, Cockbridge-Tomintoul, Carrbridge, Glencoe etc) if possible, but this would need a long weekend.

(Actually, I am only looking for an excuse for some "technical research" )

Euan
Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 AM

Interested, depending on work. I am also supposed to be away for a week holiday with Thursday, but don't know when yet.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by Roadkill
Interested, depending on work. I am also supposed to be away for a week holiday with Thursday, but don't know when yet.
Yeah - doesn't narrow it down much. Most weeks have Thursdays, except those ones where I drink too heavily on Wednesday.

Euan,

The day long meet really worked well for me - I've kids and can't / don't want to leave them out at the weekends. I'd be at SM4 otherwise.

I thought your last route was a good length - and there are some ace routes further north!!!

I would suggest 'we' put in some more defined stop points so we don't have to overtake in convoys - the last guy always ends up at about 200

I can make almost any Saturday from end of August onwards (still hoping to make the Arran meet ).

Location, location, location - what about a start at Perth and head to the hills, Glenshee, Deeside and back through the Angus hills (Cairn o' Mount - Fettercairn, Blairgowrie)? Or maybe strike west when north of the Grampians to take in Cockbridge et al?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:51 AM

No, Colin, Thursday is my girlfriend's name!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:53 AM

Poor old Thursday. Do you think even she remembers her proper name any more......?

Colin, I see you mention Blairgowrie. Are there are nice must-do roads up around there? Jenny and I have rented a cottage there for a week in between visiting chez Roadie on Arran and heading back south via SM4 - any tips on roads/places to look out for in the general vicinity much appreciated!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B Blairgowrie. Are there are nice must-do roads up around there? [/B]
Mark

There are definite must do roads up there - Blairgowrie to Braemar on the A93 is spectacular, especially at Glenshee. Then go East from Braemar (watch for cops) to Balmoral/Crathie Kirk and go over the hill in the direction of Corgarff and Tomintoul, past the Lecht ski centre (and karting track at 1500 feet high). Run on down to Speyside (Aberlour), sample some proper whisky (if not) , and go back the same way because it is so good .

I often go this way home up North rather than the tourist infested, rather dull A9.

Euan
Old 08-05-2003, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B Blairgowrie. Are there are nice must-do roads up around there? [/B]
Mark

There are definite must do roads up there - Blairgowrie to Braemar on the A93 is spectacular, especially at Glenshee. Then go East from Braemar (watch for cops) to Balmoral/Crathie Kirk and go over the hill in the direction of Corgarff and Tomintoul, past the Lecht ski centre (and karting track at 1800 feet high). Run on down to Speyside (Aberlour), sample some proper whisky (if not ) , and go back the same way because it is so good .

I often go this way home up North rather than the tourist infested, rather dull A9.

Euan
Old 08-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Cheers Euan!

Just have to remember to print this out and take it with me now!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:22 PM

Mark

A couple of other roads I have tried near Blairgowrie in the endless search for are :

A923 Blairgowrie to Dunkeld - don't do it - very bumpy and generally rubbish

North on A93 past Bridge of Cally, then cut left along B950 , meet up with A924 and head North West to Pitlochry -

A822 Crieff to Dunkeld - as partly featured on scotmeet 2

A826 Amulree to Aberfeldy - scotmeet 2 again

Unclassified road from Amulree to Kenmore - very narrow, and crest/grass in middle of road, but did not seem to affect my S. - more for scenery really - some long reversing may be required, but interesting hairpins feature

B846 Aberfeldy to Tummel Bridge, or unclassified to Kinloch Rannoch - both

Unclassified from Tummel Bridge to Trinafour

If you are heading up Aberdeen way on the A90, take care - there are cameras all along this road apparently - this was where a car salesman in an M3 was jailed for doing 157 not so long ago.

If you plan to go further North , and West of Braemar PM if you want any more recommendations.

(However, I am sure you must have more constructive things to do on your holiday than thrash a sportscar around the highlands )
Old 08-05-2003, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by euan
[B](However, I am sure you must have more constructive things to do on your holiday than thrash a sportscar around the highlands

Quick Reply: Scotmeet 3 - forward planning