UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

3 things I want to do

Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 things I want to do

Okay so I've had it almost a year and I love it, but

There are 3 things that bug my about my s well actually 2 but they lead to doing 3 things.

1. The brakes, They are soft and feel spongy and don't really feel like they are stopping the car, I'd like to fix this with some new disks, pads and calipers.

2. The noise, it's just not meaty enough ! I'd like to replace bits of the exhaust and air intake/induction. I don't want to lose any power but then again I don't care much about gaining.

I love driving but I know absolutely shag all about modding/working on cars

so I have 3 questions

Do I need to wait until my warranty runs out (fair enough if you ask me)?

With a budget of about 1500 quid what can/should I do? (first!)

Are there any businesses in Scotland (pref east/northeast that) do such things and are trustworthy? I'm afraid of trying to do this myself!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

With
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 AM

What would it do to my warranty though? I want to keep that
Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Mar 6 2007, 10:07 AM
Okay so I've had it almost a year and I love it, but

There are 3 things that bug my about my s well actually 2 but they lead to doing 3 things.

1. The brakes, They are soft and feel spongy and don't really feel like they are stopping the car, I'd like to fix this with some new disks, pads and calipers.

2. The noise, it's just not meaty enough ! I'd like to replace bits of the exhaust and air intake/induction. I don't want to lose any power but then again I don't care much about gaining.

I love driving but I know absolutely shag all about modding/working on cars

so I have 3 questions

Do I need to wait until my warranty runs out (fair enough if you ask me)?

With a budget of about 1500 quid what can/should I do? (first!)

Are there any businesses in Scotland (pref east/northeast that) do such things and are trustworthy? I'm afraid of trying to do this myself!
Mornin'

General opinion seems to be that the std calipers are more than up to the job, even on hot track days. I'd recommend new pads and fluid (and maybe disks if you can stretch to them) before spending vast chunks on calipers that may not be much better. For fluid try Motul RBF600 or Brembo LCF, they're both top of the line.

Give Steve Tuckey a call at GPR Direct in Silverstone. He supplies many top level race teams and will give you top quality advice on pad/disk/fluid combinations.

There's a wealth of info on intake/exhauts here so I'll let someone more knowledgeable help you on that.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 AM

On the intake/exhaust thing I'm completely confused. I see K&E, Muz, Spoon and Mugen. I also see Decat and single/dual exit... it's all a bit confusing. If you do a search on it it brings back litterally hundreds of results. So I know I'm asking a question that's already been answered a hundred times, but it's that it has been answered a hundred times that I've become lost .

Lame really
Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In view of the fact you have an 06.
I'd say brake hose and Motul RBF600 fluid ~
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 AM

My opinion on exhaust/intake is that you should go for weight. All performance gains are debateable, but there are significant weight losses to be had. As for noise, at one end you've got your Invidia/Spoon N1 which will cause ear bleed, then at the other end, the old HKS is fruitier but subtle.

Have you tried taking the airbox cover off? It's the cheapest noise mod: it's free.

And definitely do the hoses and fluid. then pads, then disks, and only then calipers.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 AM

Thanks great advice,

any jocks out there that know somewhere I could get such things done?

Oh yeah, airbox cover is coming off this weekend with the hardtop. Presumably the cover is just for noise reduction rather than anything functional?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 AM

Lid off is noise only and can make heat soak worse, not sure if that is true on a DBW car though!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it is functional too - if you look at the design

Quick Reply: 3 things I want to do