UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-04-2005, 06:25 AM

[quote name='zero_to60' date='Feb 4 2005, 04:21 PM']
Old 02-09-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Beardie' date='Feb 6 2005, 06:29 PM
Seems you just don't understand what I'm trying to get across to you Zeniac about the situation in the UK, or just aren't willing to accept it.
So good luck with your future maintenance.
Originally Posted by Zeniac' date='Feb 6 2005, 08:50 PM
I understand what you are trying to say Beardie, but it is important not to assume that everyone thinks as you. I have spend time in both the UK and Europe, and although my experience is somewhat dated, to say that, quote "I have NEVER heard of an S2000 being maintained from new by anything other than a dealership." and that quote "There are NO independents that I would trust with my car. (They won't have a repair manual never mind have received any training). So what are my options?" is way over the top.

There is nothing wrong with having someone else do the maintenance for you if that's what you honestly think is better for your car. Millions of people in the US and Canada do as well. My original point to all of this is to demonstrate that there are viable options and you do have a choice, even in the UK.

I spoke to one of my cousins in Northhampton to see if things have changed so dramatically since I was last over across the pond and his response was that he thought that there was some value to having the car serviced at a dealership, but that it does not void the warranty to have your car serviced at an independant garage and although he personally does not do his own service work, he uses a local shop close to his place of work that gives him the flexibility of having his car serviced while at work to save him the bother of doing it during his time off. (He is not a car buff and sees his car more as a necessary bother)

When asked if he would purchase a used car without stamps in the owners manual, his response was very typical of drivers here. He said it would be more important to him to have it thoroughly checked out at a shop than to rely on the service stamps because to him the service records mean nothing if the car was abused by the owner.

I wish you the very best with your car and hope that you are able to find a Honda dealer that satisfies your service needs at a reasonable price.
After giving it some thought, Beardie, I believe that the main difference is in perception. To me, and many S2KI members, the S2000 is an affordable roadster in the way the Triumphs and MG's were when I was young. Here in the US, the S2000 can be bought for under $30,000US. Not much different than an average sports sedan. While the car may have had a premium on it when it first came out, today it is just one of many options available and right now, here in the US, supply exceeds demand and MY04's are still available at a good discount.

Because of this I look at the S2K as a fun little car, meant to be driven and enjoyed for what it is, not seen as an investment. I will probably drive the thing for 100,000 miles or so and then give it to one of my grandchildren and let him/her enjoy it in the same way I have.

Perhaps you see the car more as an investment and want to keep the value of the car on the open market as high as possible. There is nothing wrong with your thinking, it is just different than how others look at things. I have a brother that owns a Porsche 911 Targa, he feels the same way and gets all his service work done at the Porsche dealer, never drives in the rain, and never ventures into a public parking spot for fear of getting a door ding. He is in a state of near panic when driving his car in traffic and although he takes great pride in his "investment", the enjoyment is more in the ownership than actually driving the car to it's potential and enjoying the "experience" of pushing a performance car to it's limits. He previously had a Mazda RX-7 that he just loved to drive, I often wonder if he would have been better off keeping the RX-7 and having "fun" with it.

I reminds me of my mother and her fancy tableware, it was never taken out unless for special occasions, and then had to be handled very carefully. During these uses my Mum would be fretting over having something broken so it distracted from the meal and often we just used the regular tableware to avoid the potential problems.

Now that I have grown up, we use Coral tableware and use it everyday, it's durable and works very well and we never have to worry if one of the grandpups drops a plate. I guess I see the S2000 as I do the Coral, it too is durable, works very well, and I use it and enjoy it every day.

It is refreshing to see the large number of S2KI members that take such pride in ownership of their S2000.

Just as many owners of traditional and classic sports cars have found, care and maintenance of our Honda roadster can provide great enjoyment and the satisfaction of feeling comfortable under the hood, spending quality time, doing something that is both fun and rewarding.

It is equally rewarding to share our experiences with like minded friends in both our local and on-line communities. This website has played a big part in enhancing personal enjoyment of my S2000.

Best wishes all and thank you for being here!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bright Red' date='Jan 24 2005, 01:31 PM
And you envy the guys who have moved onto TVR's eh?

Tuscan 12k service - don't forget to add tappets

7 hours labour to replace fluids and three filters

aye curumba!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had my 27k service at Norton Way, Letchworth.

Cost
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 AM

[quote name='StevenM' date='Feb 9 2005, 04:57 PM'] Just had my 27k service at Norton Way, Letchworth.

Cost
Old 02-16-2005, 08:42 AM

Mine is due in April so wizzed round a few of the local dealers to see what the score was

- Temple Honda Harlow (do servicing only)