UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ADVICE: My insurance claim...

Old 08-20-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE: My insurance claim...

Righty... here's the deal. I put an S2000 thru a fence and into a field. Okay, car's gubbed. Needs fixed. As does fence.

Contact the insurers... righto Mr Moore, we'll get it checked out and then get it to our approved bodyshop for repair. Whoof that's easy.

Not so. They want to send it to a body shop... yes that's fine they must fix bodies of cars. Thing is... it's a bloody Rover garage or summat like that! And what about the mechanicals. Last time I looked the S2000 had no commonality with a Rover 45.

So what's the script here... I don't want to send it to Machargs... oops did I say the name there... as they are not an AUTHORISED HONDA DEALERSHIP/WORKSHOP. I've told the insurers this, and they have advised I get two quotes. A quick phonecall to my dealer, and he's ready to whisk the car back up from Ayrshire (where it crashed) to Glasgow.

Thing is, I need TWO quotes. How the bloody hell can they quote to fix the car if it can't be driven there? And the insurer said they only cover one transportation of the car. That's since happened. So say if I get St Andrews Honda to quote, how do I get another place, say Hyndland Honda to quote also.

And all the while bloody Machargs phone to see about getting the car in to them. Well they actually asked if I could drive it over.

INSURANCE COMPANY: THE CAR IS GUBBED. IT DOESN'T GO. IT NEEDS FIXED. IT'S NOT A ROVER!

St Andrews Honda said they'll fix it. But how do I get the insurers to proceed, when I still need another garage to quote for it?? Also I've been advised if I get the car done by the insurers choice. Any repair work isn't covered by the Honda warranty. SO if a bit falls of then I'm probably stuffed.

TBH I really canny be arsed!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:08 PM

Can you give another body shop
Old 08-20-2004, 12:15 PM

I suppose I could. It's now at the dealership where I bought it from.

They primarily want to carry out the repairs. I don't know if they have quoted yet but they must have spoken to the insurers already if they've moved the car up. ???
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 PM

It's easy. First off you really donh't have to use the approved repairers. I never have in past. Just go to the main dealer and insist on this. Secondly AA dropped the car off to me first and the next day dropped it to the dealership for me. They were also very nice in that they gave me a hire car for 72 hours. It is part of the AA package inc with the car and also standard if you are a member with them or RAC. I also had hire car insurance with mine and if it was being repaired I would have a use of a car for 28 days. Also my local dealer offered me a courtesey car if it was going to be repaired by them.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM

Rahul...

Cheers mate. So I can insist this is where I want it fixed, without getting a second quote?? IIRC you had ample experience of this kind of thing!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 PM

How about threatening the insurance company with the inflatable dinosaur?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Rahula is right.
You DO NOT have to use their approved repairer, although most insurers get you to agree to this early on, when you just want things taken care of..........
Just tell them politely that you don't want to use their approved repairer thank you very much, and that you want it repaired by your Honda dealer (or whoever).
You will need the repairer to be Honda approved if you want to maintain the paint and body warranties though.
Don't hang about - tell the insurer asap.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:34 PM

I would only really get upset if chassis work was required, the body shops are pretty good at hanging panels, and remember you can always reject the work.

If you REALLY want to make them sh*t themselves threaten them with the omnibudsman,

I did this with Admiral in a formal letter and they folded faster than superman on laundry day.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
P 1

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Aug 20 2004, 10:05 PM
Rahula is right.
You DO NOT have to use their approved repairer
Just tell them politely that you don't want to use their approved repairer thank you very much, and that you want it repaired by your Honda dealer (or whoever).
You will need the repairer to be Honda approved if you want to maintain the paint and body warranties though.
Don't hang about - tell the insurer asap.

The choice of repairers is yours, and if you want it fixed by your dealer, then that's where it goes.
Don't take any messing on this.
Your dealer's bodyshop manager will be able to give you some help and advice on this - he'll have dealt with the insurers' spin many times before.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:46 PM

name and shame Jimbo

Who are the offending insurance co?

Quick Reply: ADVICE: My insurance claim...