UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on ownership...

Old 12-08-2001, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on ownership...

Hi, I am just about to go for a test drive, with a view to ordering a 2002 car! Please can anyone let me know what day to day life is like with a S2000?!
I commute 50 miles per day, 30 of which are a quick dash up & down the M23.
The car is practical enough as far as space goes, but are there any pit falls of daily running?

Ta v much!
Old 12-08-2001, 01:14 PM
ian

[QUOTE]Originally posted by breville
[B]Hi, I am just about to go for a test drive, with a view to ordering a 2002 car!
Old 12-08-2001, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breville:

There's loads of advice on this if you want to search... but quick version.

The S2000 is a fantastic sports car with an inherent tendency to oversteer when pushed. This tendency is found to be highly desirable by most enthusiastic drivers, and was undoubtedly intentional by Honda. The standard tyres are Bridgestone SO2 Potenzas which were designed especially for the car. They are the best tyre available for the car anywhere, when driven in the dry as it was designed to be enjoyed. The tyres are lethal in the snow and ice, and whilst IMHO they are not ideal in the wet or on cold surfaces prior to warming up they, are quite safe as long as you slow down and respect the tendency to oversteer , i.e smooth steering, braking and gear change inputs.

Many people in snowy climes run on snow tyres or in less extreme ,but wet conditions, prefer a less performance related tyre.

Seriously consider your needs and buy it with your head not your heart!
Old 12-08-2001, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the advice, the car must be able to commute in all weathers; what are the options? An MR2?!
Old 12-08-2001, 02:05 PM

Breville:

Any rear wheel driven sports car has got to be treatedwith respect in the winter and in the wet. If you're set on a sports car, my advice Audi TT, .....not as uncompromising but safer 4X4 winter driving!
Old 12-08-2001, 02:12 PM

Breville:
I recently test drove a Honda Civic Type R. Loads of fun, not much slower than the S2000 and front wheel drive. Air-con and all the toys for under
Old 12-08-2001, 03:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The s2K is an excellent long distance car.

The tyres must be warmed up very carefully, just like a sportsbike.

The reservation is, the car's too extreme if you tend to lapse concentration.

Otherwise, it's the best combination of Honda reliability/durability and extreme thrills.

VTEC really is the Devil's camshafts.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Nick Graves

VTEC really is the Devil's camshafts.
Love it!!
Old 12-08-2001, 03:10 PM

These types of questions are the most difficult to answer because it's all personal taste and individual needs.

Buying a 2 seater already imposes some significant compromise - so you may as well get an exceptional one rather than an average one.

The RWD thing is not to be taken lightly - I think most people on the board have either had a spin or a near thing - but once you learn the lesson then it's OK, to get it sideways in the dry you have to be giving it more than plenty. To get some context however - there are people who manage to spin 316BMW's when it's their first RWD.

The big difference I noticed between a sports saloon and the S2000 was the noise level - when you are doing 85mph in an Audi/Alfa/BMW - would probably don't hear much. In an S, you are 4000rpm+ and you hear it. If I spent my life on motorways - I think I would get sick of that constant drone.

Finally, if you have set your heart on a quick soft top with a bit of exclusivity - the Honda is a great choice.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:20 PM

No2 son is a motorbike nut. He always says the S2000 is like a Fireblade with 4 wheels!

Nice avatar Kobe!

Quick Reply: Advice on ownership...