UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice please - sell or break my S2000 ?

Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please - sell or break my S2000 ?

I would appreciate a bit of advice please ...

I've got an X reg Silverstone silver car with c.115k on the clock which i've had since new. Its in OK condition for a 13 year old car though needs a new clutch and front brakes.

Engine packed up :-( I've removed it and stripped it down to find that 2 of the main bearings failed. Fortunately not much damage but probably needs a new crank, piston rings etc and then rebuild - which i'm not inclined to do. Equally dropping in a new/reconditioned engine doesn't make a lot of sense given the age/value of the car.

So do I break it to generate some cash (and where is the best place to sell the parts) or is there a way to save me the work and get more than a scrap price for it by selling it as it stands ?

Any guidance gratefully received. Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate.

I was in the exact same position as you this time last year, similar age and mileage, Regardless of the situation you're going to be at a massive financial loss with the car, I suppose it all boils down to how much you love the car.

I bit the bullet and sourced an engine, 05 on 57k miles for 1500 quid, with both manifolds, alternator, aircon pump, and a clutch with a fair bit of life left in it. Took the gamble and it paid off.

Brakes? I suppose it depends what's needed, Callipers? can be sourced new from about £50 each, pads £20 and discs around £30 each... if they're seized and sticking, you can partly rebuild the new callipers / regrease the slider pins.

With a running engine in an S2000 on your age and mileage it's still worth £4k at least...

You'd be very lucky to see £2k in bits, so its more viable to stick a new engine in my opinion and experience
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM

what Tom said
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any particular parts worth having? Nobody's going to be lining up to buy well worn OEM parts off a 115K car.

And I doubt anybody would pay £4K for it with a replacement engine either. But I may be wrong.

I would try selling it as it is either here, or Ebay.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
Any particular parts worth having? Nobody's going to be lining up to buy well worn OEM parts off a 115K car.

And I doubt anybody would pay £4K for it with a replacement engine either. But I may be wrong.

Look on ebay

There is a T plate JDM on similar miles going for £4k, UKDM V reg on more miles going for £4250.

So I'd say it's viable to do so.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Look on ebay

There is a T plate JDM on similar miles going for £4k, UKDM V reg on more miles going for £4250.

Going for £4250? It's up for "make an offer" and so far all of them have been refused.

I hope you're right as mine might be worth more than the £3.50 I estimate.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM

There are that many people breaking S2000s these days that you can get parts for very little, and believe me when I tell you that you have the worst possible one to break for parts.

I could be tempted to buy your car for the right money, or if you are interested I can do you a deal on a low mileage replacement engine.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo' timestamp='1398349855' post='23127848

Look on ebay

What they are up for on eBay dosn't mean a thing, you need to do an advanced search of copleted listings to find out what has and hasn't sold and for how much.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM
BCA

I was in the exact same position as you this time last year, similar age and mileage, Regardless of the situation you're going to be at a massive financial loss with the car, I suppose it all boils down to how much you love the car.

I bit the bullet and sourced an engine, 05 on 57k miles for 1500 quid, with both manifolds, alternator, aircon pump, and a clutch with a fair bit of life left in it. Took the gamble and it paid off.

Brakes? I suppose it depends what's needed, Callipers? can be sourced new from about £50 each, pads £20 and discs around £30 each... if they're seized and sticking, you can partly rebuild the new callipers / regrease the slider pins.

With a running engine in an S2000 on your age and mileage it's still worth £4k at least...

You'd be very lucky to see £2k in bits, so its more viable to stick a new engine in my opinion and experience
Tom did you buy that off RyanGeorge or similar on here? If so, that was my best mates engine/car pre crash. I don't have any paperwork or anything, ins co had it... But I know it was always serviced and we did the TCT 2k miles earlier.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BCA
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1398348842' post='23127815

Tom did you buy that off RyanGeorge or similar on here? If so, that was my best mates engine/car pre crash. I don't have any paperwork or anything, ins co had it... But I know it was always serviced and we did the TCT 2k miles earlier.
It certainly was mate, and shes still running like a gem 8k miles on

Quick Reply: Advice please - sell or break my S2000 ?