UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on Suspension bushes

Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Suspension bushes

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of refurbishing the rear suspension and was after some opinions/advice from the may people to complete this.

I had to cut out 3/4 of the the cam-headed bolts on the toe arm and lower wishbone and was going to replace with Powerflex bushes once I've had the old bushes pressed out.

The other bushes on the arm (front lower and strut attachment) appear in pretty reasonable condition, but I was considering swapping at least the front lower bush for a Powerflex to keep the three bushes on the sub-frame the same (stiffness etc). Is this an unnecessary cost or is it worth doing both this and the strut attachment whilst everything is apart?

Whilst cost is not a constraint, I'd rather not spend the cash if it's unnecessary. Car use is weekend, generally dry weather use and the primary reason for doing the work was an non-adjustable rear camber mismatch left to right (>1.5deg difference).

Thanks

Craig
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep the good bushes then replace the bad ones with Mugen rather than powerflex , the Mugen are very much like the originals.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stock all of the Spoon bushes. Much like the mugen bushes, a bit firmer than OEM.

http://www.spoonsports.eu/spoon-prod...on-system.html

Let me know if you hear any questions
Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

I left the front lower as bit of a sod to remove arm i done rebush with lower arms in situ,didnt think they do them in polly anyway.
Did not affect the active suspension stability arm design to any negative affect.
I would not polly the strut<lower damper bush>with polly bush that needs to be metastatic due to the loads.
you will need to assemble with white marine grease.
Rear toe needs also to be min for rear bump steer mines very nearly parallel 1/8th" total or little less than
Old 03-31-2015, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd recommend Mugen / Spoon lower rear bushes, leave the OEM front lower bushes, and Polybush / Powerflex control arm bushes as they'll reduce the flex in the rear toe under loads.

You'll get more sprung resistance with a Mugen / Spoon bush too.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whilst you have the toe arms and wishbones off the car you may as well do the lot .... and I would go with the Powerflex poly-bushes so you will never have to do the job again.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 AM

You should never have to do the job again if you keep the pins greased; should be a standard service item.

Poly bushing the lot will reduce your sprung resistance quite a bit, and strictly you would have to regrease your poly bushes on a regular basis. Poly's are a maintenance bush; rubber bushes like the Mugen are not, and are much more suited for a road car.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had Powerflex poly bushes on my car for years and never once had to touch them. The Mugen and Spoon bushes are like OEM and need maintenance otherwise they will also seize.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 AM

Aye, fair point. Just easier to whip out a bolt and grease it up, rather than take the arms out to grease the poly bushes. Taking the bolt out to grease it up shouldn't add too much time to a Geo job assuming they were already greased and are free.

It all depends on preference, use and mileage.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience poly bushes and UK roads just don't mix, no matter how soft you set your coilovers it just becomes too uncomfortable on all the holes, bumps, joins and cracks in these shitty roads.

If I were to do it again it would definitely be OEM or Mugen etc.

Quick Reply: Advice on Suspension bushes