UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

That age old dilemma, keep, sell or break...?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That age old dilemma, keep, sell or break...?

Howdy all.

My dilemma is as follows;

I have a 163,000 mile MY00 S2000 that is starting to get a little long in the tooth bodywork wise. The paintwork is looking tired, I have some very minor rust bubbles appearing around both rear arches and generally the old girl is looking a little tatty these days.

As I see it I have several options;

1: Keep it and spend the time and money getting the old girl looking like new again. The downsides here are the cost. There's the rust to cut out and new sections to put in and then the obvious cost of a respray. I'd say I'm unlikely to get much change from £4k if I do this lot over the winter. The plus side is the old girl looks good again and I get to enjoy several more years of S2000 motoring.

2: Just flog the thing as it is. Probably manage to get £2500 for it with all the bling I have draped over it. The downside here is that I'd be looking to add £4-5k to that money to get a later model that doesn't need money spending on it just yet.

3: Break it. I'd get more cash probably but it's gonna be a real ball ache having this thing kicking around for a year while all the bits get sold.

Whichever way you look at it, I'm looking at a £4-5k investment in something going forwards. I'm erring towards option 2 as if I had a choice I'd go for a different colour. I've never been mad keen on Silverstone, it was just the right car at the right time.

Your words of wisdom greatly received....
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you the time and space to break it.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for option 2 except if you don't need immediately the budget of 2500 pounds and you have the space and time to break it then I would buy a newer one and break this one. The downside is that there are many S2000's broken at this time and it will take long to get more money back as many parts available
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do go for option 3, use the format I applied - get buyers and reserve buyers prior to stripping the car.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 AM

My biggest issue with breaking the car really is the fact that the big money item (The engine) is at 163,000 miles now and will be more when I finally decide to go ahead. That will severely affect is "sellableness".

My other concern is having a non movable shell at the side of my house. It's pretty dead space now but I can't see my wife being too thrilled about it sitting there for 9 months or so.

There's a part of me that says go option 1, and get the bodywork up to a standard I can vinyl wrap it.

I need to factor in the sentimental reasons for wanting to keep the old girl.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 AM

I would sell it and get a later of lower miles S2000.
Fixing it up will be a waste of time and money if the engine goes. If it does then you will be looking at an extra 2k on top of the 4k which means you may have well have gone straight for the newer car in the first place.
Obviously the risks are if you get the newer car and end up having problems with it your worse off.
I would just sell it. For the money you would get stripping it down I don't think it would make much of a difference in price. Not enough in my eyes to have it sitting around for so long. It will either go to some one else who will love it for what it is or it will be stripped down so I say let them do the work.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 AM

Same here pretty much, except I have the added problem of a split in the rear screen - so really need a new roof on top. I think breaking it is way too much effort for the rewards, but obviously that depends if you have the time/space/tools.

I'm tending towards option #4, which is keep using it as day to day transport, try to spend as little money as possible until something goes badly enough wrong that it's not worth saving. Which is pretty sad, but in reality it's still a great car to drive even if it looks a bit crap.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 627 Likes on 547 Posts

if you spend 4k on it it'll still be worth feck all, if you add £4k to your 2.5k you should have a car worth 6.5k

remove emotion and get rid, that's a lot of miles. there are loads of S2s with low miles which have been garaged. My 2001 is pretty immaculate with no rust and better paint than my 58 BM
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 AM

Trade it in for a facelift in the choice if your colour.

Facelift cars look much nicer than the earlier ones.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ebay 2.5k starting price see what happens

Quick Reply: That age old dilemma, keep, sell or break...?