UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alarming amount of Written off S2k's

Old 04-12-2003, 10:04 AM
jcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarming amount of Written off S2k's

As I've nearly finished my accident damaged S2k I've noticed in gathering parts over the past couple of months a distinctive pattern emerge. You see a about three months ago there were few cars being broken and this made it tricky to get what you needed. Now there's loads and nearly every single one I visit has been a consequence of the driver loosing the rear end. I know the cars have a tendency to be a bit snappy but it's starting to worry me a little. The accidents are really very nasty indeed. Going to breakers means if your quick and get there early the cars are fresh from the accident scene. Its only just struck me that all the cars are more or less damaged on the same areas, as they have span or rolled and impacted at speeds. Is this coincidence, or just that a precision driving machine is being purchased by the inexperienced?
JCP
Old 04-12-2003, 10:10 AM

There were a lot of written off 200Sxs over the winter as well. The sxoc site was full of write off stories.

I blame drivers who like myself are brought up on fwd or rwd with traction control, they just don't have the skills or the mechanical sympathy to know how to drive a high powered rwd car. I was scared to death of my 200SX in the wet when I got it and that was definitely a good thing.

If there was a serious problem with the car, I'm sure our over-zealous media would have made a sensationalist story about it by now!!
Old 04-13-2003, 04:32 AM
jcp

I agree. Just needed reassuring.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problems with the car except perhaps the standard set up is a little too oversteer orientated for the general market.

Maybe Honda should provide driver training as it is clearly needed IMO.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Would we really want honda dealers to provide that?
Old 04-13-2003, 10:11 AM

Good point AE.

I wonder how many have been written off/crashed at the hands of Honda sales staff?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Honda MAC course would have been a good idea - just like offered to CTR buyers.

-Brian.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by bmarshall
A Honda MAC course would have been a good idea - just like offered to CTR buyers.

-Brian.
Definitely. Its probably even more applicable to the S2000 than the CTR.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I couldn't disagree with the sentiments behind more driver training and I know it's been said before BUT...........

The S2000 is a lightweight, high powered RWD sports car for Christ's sake!

You can have all the training in the world but you can't take liberties with that combination.

ALL you have to do in the cold and wet is:

a) slow down significantly and accept most cars will make equal or better progress than you
b) avoid any dramatic acceleration or braking

Then you won't have to 'recover' anything apart from your ego when a Punto 1.1 takes you on that roundabout.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:04 PM

Do any of the older (in S2ki years ) board members remember if there have been the same proportions of 00, 01 write-offs as the 02 & 03s ?

Quick Reply: Alarming amount of Written off S2k's