UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alpine 7878

Old 10-29-2001, 04:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alpine 7878 MP3 player for less than
Old 11-06-2001, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know whether you can use the ALpine units with the stock CD changer - I am sure I read somewhere that it was an alpine changer?

Anthony
Old 11-06-2001, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Anthony
Does anyone know whether you can use the ALpine units with the stock CD changer - I am sure I read somewhere that it was an alpine changer?

Anthony
If you do a search you'll come up with quite a few threads on this. This one:

OEM changer / Alpine head unit

is typical. The short answer is, yes but only if you get a lower end (Non Ai-Net bus) Alpine headunit and then you need to faff about either buying or rigging up an adaptor to hook up the changer's non-standard plug to the M-Bus changer.

You can pick up a (better quality) 6 disk Alpine Ai-Net changer new for about
Old 11-06-2001, 09:23 AM

Thanks Tifosi,

After an Ai-net Alpine so will have to be a new changer.

Anthony
Old 11-12-2001, 10:49 AM

Woo hoo! It's here at last!

Make sure if you buy an interface that it has the R1 prefix on the model number as these are the revised versions that allow you to hear music and have your head lamps on!

Hopefully have some piccies of it all in the car tomorrow
Old 11-13-2001, 12:22 PM

Well the changer and 7878 are in the car, no real problems with the install but it got a bit tight behind the head unit trying to accomodate the KCE-865 along with the 7878 loom, rca's, dc/dc convertor etc....

No problems with the front fouling the stereo flap, it fits behind it fine. First impresion of the stereo left me a bit underwhelmed but once it had been set up to the car's environment it rocks, oh my does it ever!! It really works out my Infiniti speakers, very tight punchy bass and wonderfully controlled higher frequency delivery. Yet to see how it performs at high speed/road noise but so far I'm pretty impressed.

Pictures to follow...
Old 11-13-2001, 12:34 PM

Hi, seeing as this is a HU thread i thought i'd get this in here:

I'm gonna put my Kenwood HU in at the weekend (should all be in for the Essex meet RED )

Do you need a Halfords-esque replacement harness to connect the Honda wires to other HU's harnesses? Dunno if the Alpine is the same because of its compatibility, what about other makes?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]Hi, seeing as this is a HU thread i thought i'd get this in here:

I'm gonna put my Kenwood HU in at the weekend (should all be in for the Essex meet RED )

Do you need a Halfords-esque replacement harness to connect the Honda wires to other HU's harnesses?
Old 11-14-2001, 02:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red

Glad to hear the system pleases you! I know that 'underwhelmed' feeling - I was the same. You are so excited when the time comes for the big 'switch on' and then....hmmmmmmm. But as you say, a little knob twiddling ( ) and the system rocks!

Where have you mounted the S624 cd changer - this is my next upgrade and I am toying with underneath the passenger seat or inside the spare wheel........other (non-boot space gobbling) suggestions gratefully received

All the best

Ian
Old 11-14-2001, 02:47 AM

Ian,

Yeah, I'm still pretty pleased with the new toys. I love the fact that the dash controls now change from tuner to cd to changer rather than cycling through (what seemed like) 25 different tuner bands Also the mute button pauses the CD rather than just muting it - very

I've mounted the changer where the OEM one was on the Honda bracket, I'm a sucker for a logo and that S2000 rain jacket you get with the kit really works for me I haven't tried myself but I've heard the changer can be mounted in the foam insert under the false floor of the boot. They can also be bracketed under the seats in the cabin - don't floor mount it as this fouls the seats movement.

For those thinking of a 7878

Good things are the great DSP functions (normally I hate these but this one seems OK) the best of these is CSD that lets you specify speaker size, type, seat facing material, car type (convertible included ) etc. and then adjusts the EQ to match. This really works as well! The onboard amp seems good enough for my co-ax Infinitis, the tuner is first class (best I've used) and the CD transport also seems very good (sounds noticeably better than the changer)

Down sides are that the display doesn't dim when the head lights are on (no big deal as I drive with the flap up),

Quick Reply: Alpine 7878