UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alternative fix for premature wearing of hood

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmt1,Dec 27 2010, 04:33 PM
I just wondered if anyone had an update on whether these solved the problem? I don't have any wear on my roof yet, but it would be good to stop the potential problem down the line. Thanks
After a few months of using a new Honda hood, I notice scuff marks caused by the frame. I fitted the Lizard Skins, now 12 months ago, which appear to have prevented the marks getting any worse.

So, I reckon it's a

Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is nice yo
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM

On offer in Halfords for £10.48 for 2 until 31st January see HERE
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Reviving this thread from th dead because I'm pretty pissed. When I first bought my 06 ap2 with 25000ish miles2 years ago, I noticed slight wear marks in the soft top. I read many threads like this one to prevent further damage. I bought 2 lizard skins, applied with Velcro side farthest away from the top, on each"bendy" bar.

Fast forward to today as I check to see if the lizard skins had slipped at all, I find that the drivers side is weaker than before and the pass. side is developing a rip as I can see daylight throuh the tiny crack. The skins did not slip yet wear and tear still ocurred. Now I gotta find some Sunbrella material to patch it up. FML
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by gdub
Reviving this thread from th dead because I'm pretty pissed. When I first bought my 06 ap2 with 25000ish miles2 years ago, I noticed slight wear marks in the soft top. I read many threads like this one to prevent further damage. I bought 2 lizard skins, applied with Velcro side farthest away from the top, on each"bendy" bar.

Fast forward to today as I check to see if the lizard skins had slipped at all, I find that the drivers side is weaker than before and the pass. side is developing a rip as I can see daylight throuh the tiny crack. The skins did not slip yet wear and tear still ocurred. Now I gotta find some Sunbrella material to patch it up. FML
Same thing happened to me, get some prestofelt off've eBay to cover the wear on the inside.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 AM

I also removed my Lizard skins a few months ago, whilst they would cover and be preferable to a sharp edge, material will rub and wear other material. The best solution is still to simply stick an additional patch to the roof, thus nothing moves against the roof material in this area.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, they don't fix the problem. Patch your roof from the inside as Spies and Gav have said. I've used this stuff: Tear Aid

If you put it on properly it won't come off. I had it on my old S for over 2yrs and even putting the roof up and down in the middle of winter it absorbed the stress, stretched and just re-shaped again. Excellent stuff and very tough but a little fiddly to fit.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Floppy
Yep, they don't fix the problem. Patch your roof from the inside as Spies and Gav have said. I've used this stuff: Tear Aid

If you put it on properly it won't come off. I had it on my old S for over 2yrs and even putting the roof up and down in the middle of winter it absorbed the stress, stretched and just re-shaped again. Excellent stuff and very tough but a little fiddly to fit.
Tear aid and a felt patch
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the advice 98RON, no wear yet on mine but ordered a pair and they turned up this morning.
Cheers
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by stuntman2
Thanks for the advice 98RON, no wear yet on mine but ordered a pair and they turned up this morning.
Cheers
DO NOT rely on the lizard skins for protection, they don't work.

Quick Reply: Alternative fix for premature wearing of hood