UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

another bites the dust :(

Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Bad luck mate

No-one hurt though - all that really matters in the end

Good luck getting it all sorted out
Old 05-31-2018, 12:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 05-31-2018, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, and thanks to the OP for posting as it once again highlights the importance of tyre choices..... Sorry about your crash. Just looking for advice as per tyres. I've got an 03 which has now become a daily (crashed my e46 330ci daily car during the last heavy winter snow) and I've got Toyo proxes R1R 225 50 16 on the back and Yoko AD08R's 205 55 16 on the front. This combination came with the car when I got it 3yrs ago. My question is, is it fine to run this setup as it is through the winter? I'm thinking of changing the Toyo's on the rear to AD08R'S for the winter. Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Cue people telling you Yoko's are great year round. I have em on my track car and on a cold, wet day they are shit imho. And experience.

I would put winter's on if it's a daily. You'll be ok if it's dry. Never tried Toyos

Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyos are very soggy but pretty grippy and Yokos very grippy and a bit soggy - must be an interesting drive.

Yokos have zero grip until warmed up; an old set of wheels with Winters on them would be a better bet. The 86 runs Nokian WR4s and they are very good.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 AM

Thank you both for the feedback. Handling wise, the current set up is OK as i don't push the car beyond my abilities but I have definitely noticed the back end to slide out a bit on cold damp surfaces. I think I'll look to get a spare set of wheels and put some proper winters on come winter time to be on the safe side. Cheers!
Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolkat969
Thank you both for the feedback. Handling wise, the current set up is OK as i don't push the car beyond my abilities but I have definitely noticed the back end to slide out a bit on cold damp surfaces. I think I'll look to get a spare set of wheels and put some proper winters on come winter time to be on the safe side. Cheers!
A bit of a rear end slide is fine if you keep on top of it...it's when you panic and lift off at a sign of a slide is when it goes pear shaped....

Best time to practice rear end 'flicks' and gathers is in the cold and wet....at low speeds :-)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The main problem with S2000s seems to be applying far too much opposite lock; the anti-roll bars then twang you into an uncatchable slide/spin in the opposite direction. I seemed to do it with monotonous regularity on track days, later on when fatigue seems to be setting in.

The best thing is to let go of the wheel and let the caster angle sort it all out and then correct the line when the car is reasonably straight.

It's also why racing drivers push the wheel upwards, rather than pulling it down; it damps the tendency to over-correct, as one tends to set the front wheels back to straight-ahead by dropping your arm when it snaps out and not apply opposite-lock.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by UK Paul
A bit of a rear end slide is fine if you keep on top of it...it's when you panic and lift off at a sign of a slide is when it goes pear shaped....

Best time to practice rear end 'flicks' and gathers is in the cold and wet....at low speeds :-)
Cool..... Will surely practice at low speeds in those conditions and get to know the car a bit better and most importantly with no other cars or physical barriers close by
Old 06-03-2018, 12:02 PM

cheers guys, car being collected this week...… had a chance have a proper look at the rear arches after someone highly recommend (yeah right!) had done the rust work 14 months ago.... the near side lip is as thin as a piece of cheap A4 paper and basically held together by paint. Offside marginally better.... offside front wing has problems to under the trim. As said up thread, I had a lot of work to do....

As for the accident, it was the opposite lock snap that got me, was going forwards and sideways down the road and ran out of road before she corrected or stopped. I am very lucky nothing coming in the opposite direction. Also as it was an S bend, didn't help!

I'll be on the non S forum asking advise on replacement as probably going for 4 seat convertible. Getting another S doesn't make sense as it will be living on the streets and Ive seen a few round me, 02-04 plates with rear arch rust problems so in reality the same will happen with any S I buy before too long.

Quick Reply: another bites the dust :(