UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another Catalytic Converter Theft – Now Repaired

Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Another Catalytic Converter Theft – Now Repaired

Hi Guys,

It seems there is alot of this going on at the moment. I wanted to share my story and how I got it repaired.

Hopefully it will help others.

This occurred last month.

I had a UK vacation planned with the missus for around 13 days before the 2nd lockdown hit. On the last evening I left, I started up the s2000 and charged the battery for alittle while.

This confirmed the car was fine and the CAT was present.

When I returned, I intended to clean the s2000 and when I started it up to let it run the dreaded loud exhaust sound was present.

I knew exactly what was wrong, I was so pissed off as I knew the exhaust system would be completed butchered.

A quick glance underneath confirmed it, even more worse is that that they cut off the front manifold pipe containing the front lambda sensor.

I knew I wasn’t going to claim on insurance, as insurance companies are pretty useless with type of thing.

So the only way was to repair it was with 2nd hand parts, and then get my old mechanic friend to help me. Rich at Performance Autoworks.

So a shopping list was needed.

-Front Genuine Honda downpipe Manifold (2nd hand) (Ebay – seller s2000poweruk ) £89.00 posted

(Genuine Honda ones aren’t available anymore, you could also go after market if you desire)

-Spring bolts and nuts (to connect the CAT to the front manifold) £0.00 (thrown in with front manifold)

If required

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-H...EAAOSw0i9eVo1B

-Front 02 Lambda Sensor and Rear 02 Lambda Sensor (Ebay – seller SLB-olena) Bundled together for £41 posted

NOTE: prefacelift and facelift s2000’s feature different type’s of 02 sensors.

Pre-facelift: Front sensor with White Sleeving Rear sensor with Green Sleeving

Facelift: Front sensor with Grey Sleeving Rear sensor with Blue Sleeving

-Catalytic Converter (Berk 63.5mm version) (s2ktuning) £255 posted (s2ktuning struggled to get this for me – lead time was over a month)

https://www.s2ktuning.co.uk/Exhaust.html (6th down on the list)

-Genuine Honda donut gasket 18115PCX014 (coxmotorparts) £33 posted

The irony was that I was going to replace my original CAT due to it developing the common rattle. It was already on order.

After much research and recommendation on here, I decided to go for the BERK 63.5mm high flow CAT.

Tegiwa also do a similar version, but the internals are 70mm which may differences with exhaust flow due to the OEM system being 63.5mm

Many people have installed them without much issues, with only a slight change in sound. Maybe a slight drop in power which you probably won’t notice.

It’s a good alternative if you are stuck though.

The biggest issue I had was the rear main exhaust section. There were a few available on ebay second hand, but the assembly was absolutely massive. I would need quite a large van to pick one up and I would never be able to store it in my flat and deliver it to the garage. Logistics would be a nightmare. Even Coxmotorparts stated they could not courier me a brand new one. Lol.

Note: The rear main exhaust system is still available from Honda and costs around £500 ish.

If you order from LINGS.com, they can deliver it to you or your garage.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/part...ckref/B__0200/

Quite concerned, I then contacted Rich at Performance Autoworks for his advice and showed him the images of what was left of the exhaust.

He stated that the rear end can be salvaged and repaired.

Fantastic news, I was so relieved.

So all I needed were the above parts, and Rich could do the rest.

With the car not driveable, I had to arrange for transport to get the car to Rich in Fairford.

I found a guy called Ian who runs a company called Mercia vehicle Logistics. Nationwide delivery and very reasonable cost too.

Amazing guy, pleasant and punctual. Highly recommended.

https://www.facebook.com/merciavehiclelogistics/

Once all the dates were arranged, the pickup went smoothly. I gave him the keys and he went on his way to Performance Autoworks.

With the pickup being at 7am, it allowed me to continue with my day and head to work.

It took over 3 hours for Ian to get there, and the drop off went smoothly. Rich confirming the car arrived safely.

Rich got to work on it the next day, and confirmed via email it all went smoothly without a hitch.

He did say the heat shield of the front manifold can be tricky to remove, as the bolts holding them in place commonly rust up.

The lower bolt was stubborn as they catch the water being on the lower section, he managed to get it off though.

Fantastic work, the s2000 is now back on the road. I picked it up yesterday.

Pick Up Day

The repair is spot on, he welded on a new flange to the end rear exhaust which mated perfectly to the BERK CAT.

Also quite relieved both the 2nd hand lambda sensors were in good functioning order.

I can’t recommend Rich at Performance Autoworks enough. I have used him since 2009 back when I had a Honda Prelude 2.2 vti.

Always use him for big major jobs. He really knows his Honda’s.

The drive back yesterday in the pouring rain was amazing. Felt so good to be back in the s2000.

My concern now, it may happen again. Although there isn’t really any value in the aftermarket high flow CATS, these people can still do it again not realising it isn’t an OEM CAT.

I was so heart broken when it occurred. Luckily they never damaged any other part of the car.

I hope this helps anyone who becomes a victim of Catalytic Converter theft.

Thanks for reading Guys

Performance Autoworks (Fairford/Gloucestershire GL7 4BX)
Tel: 01285 711 733
Email: info@performance-autoworks.co.uk
http://www.performance-autoworks.co.uk/index.php

Mercia vehicle Logistics
Tel: 07490140785
https://merciavehiclelogistics.co.uk/
His Ebay listings
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TRANS...YAAOSwi-db5Zbw

Last edited by s2000_f20; 11-15-2020 at 12:34 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by s2000_f20:
arsie (11-16-2020), lovegroova (11-16-2020), martin j (11-16-2020), seatonsurfer (11-15-2020), shrykhar (04-13-2023), Vortexhunter (11-15-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

No bars welded on to the chassis? Not to stop them but to slow them down, if they can't do it in < 60 seconds they'll move on.

Also a decent alarm with a tilt / motion sensor.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If i didn't live out in the sticks i'd be sticking my decat back on! Costly repair though, circa £500 all in?
Old 11-16-2020, 12:12 PM

No bars welded on to the chassis? Not to stop them but to slow them down, if they can't do it in < 60 seconds they'll move on.

Also a decent alarm with a tilt / motion sensor.
Will definitely be looking at adding an anti tilt sensor to my Alarm now.
In hindsight, should have installed one along time ago.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:14 PM

If i didn't live out in the sticks i'd be sticking my decat back on! Costly repair though, circa £500 all in?
Wish I lived out in the sticks.

Indeed costly. Just a tad under £600 all in.
That's my Christmas present to myself sorted
Old 04-13-2023, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my Honda OEM Cat stolen last year. Insurance replaced the Manifold and CAT with aftermarket as the OEM not available. Now the Engine management light comes on all the time and I have to reset it.

No gasses are escaping from the CAT and I think its the CAT being out of spec or something.

My insurance will have a another go and sorting it out and I want them to fit something that works.

Can anyone recommend a aftermarket S2000 CAT brand / supplier that has a chance of working?

Old 04-13-2023, 11:16 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I have used a scorpion one for years on my boosted car, passes MOT so long as it's hot. That car can't cel tho

You can probably dodge the cel with a spacer.. it could be one of your o2 sensors is bust though.. what is the code?

Edit to say other choices are berk and tegiwa

Old 04-13-2023, 01:43 PM

The Berk catalytic converter is still the one to go for I believe.

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/berk-...converter.html

Gone up in price so much since I purchase it.

Try and get genuine Lambda Sensors (second hand if need be) - most after market sensors dont work very well and fail after a short period of time.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:32 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Just install a de-fouler £10 on secondary sensor.Takes sensor out of flow of exhaust gases.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:09 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000_f20
The Berk catalytic converter is still the one to go for I believe.

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/berk-...converter.html

Gone up in price so much since I purchase it.

Try and get genuine Lambda Sensors (second hand if need be) - most after market sensors dont work very well and fail after a short period of time.
They really have jumped in price! I got a quote to sell my OEM cat back in February thinking I could get an aftermarket one to replace if needed for MOT at some point and would have a couple of quid left in my pocket. Was offered £420 by a couple of place, glad I didn't bother...

Quick Reply: Another Catalytic Converter Theft – Now Repaired