UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone have tips, pics, advice for a track

Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also have a look at:

http://www.jimbocam.com/

They host most tracks and airfields full lap videos which will give you an idea what the track is like.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:41 AM

TTT cheers for the tips, unfortunately none of the links lead to a vid.

Come on folks, surely someone on the board must have an in car vid of that track??
Old 10-06-2004, 11:48 AM
GSi

Got one from Keevil..
Courtesy of Mr Ralston - www.prognosticate.org/s2000/keevil_lap.mpg
Old 10-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Neat. but could really with one from bassingbourne to get to know the circuit
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
GSi

I don't think you'll learn it from a video. You just can't see the line like you could in reality.. Also they might lay out a different circuit on the available space than they have at other times. When I went to Keevil they used a circuit which they had only used a few times before.

Probably just best to take it as it comes and if you can get someone else who owns an S2000 to go out with you for some laps you'll soon get it.

Lets face it, you won't be timed and you're there to have fun so don't worry about getting things perfect. Just use the time to learn how your car handles and just how hard it can brake & corner and what happens when you come in too fast/exit too fast.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:29 PM

David - are you pretending to be a trackday novice again

IIRC from Knockhill 18 months ago you said "I've never been on a track before - I'll just be taking it easy".

you then proceeded to absolutely fly round the place in the wet (and didn't go off-roading like some people )
Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 AM

as I have mentioned in your other thread, the surface is concrete so drive at a pace where you are happy with tyre wear. ~If the surface is dry and you are pushing the car too fast and get understeer the fronts will pay. ~If you do wear out all 4 tyres you can add the cost of those on to the price paid for the day which is less appealing. Now if it was to rain, that would be a lot of fun on concrete.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 AM

The track layout is shown (I think) on the MSE website. Not as helpful as a video, I know, but still allows you to memorise the order of the corners.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 AM

David - are you pretending to be a trackday novice again
Ahhh, sorry.

Shouldn't assume stuff eh.

I'll go back to my granny egg suck class.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:51 AM

I did Bassingbourn in the S back in May. Doing it again in a different car on 23rd.

To be perfectly honest the "track" is quite simple, no too many corners to learn (assuming they lay it out the same way this time).

I always find that one of the fun things about driving a new circuit is gradually learning the correct lines, braking points etc. Experimenting with different entry points, braking markers etc throughout the day is all part of the fun.

If it's wet there's a few corners where you can find out what a high speed slide feels like, with plenty of space if you get it wrong (like I did!)

If it's dry get your wallet ready, you will need new tyres!

One bit of advice is to make sure you have everything you need when you arrive (fuel, oil, food, drinks, etc) as it takes a long time to drive round the perimeter to get out of the grounds.

Enjoy,

Si

P.S. There are still places left for 23rd.

Quick Reply: Anyone have tips, pics, advice for a track