UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aquaplaned, crashed.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of support. I am ok

It happened this morning when I had picked my car up after leaving it at work last night, on the M20 southbound, about a mile before the Swanley/ M25 junction. The weather was terrible and I was just cruising along in the middle lane. I saw a huge river of water in front of me, stretching across all 3 lanes, I tried to brake but it was too late.

As soon as I hit it the car immediately spun to the left - it was unbelievably quick, I didn't even have time to think about turning into it - and I hit the barrier on the rear quarter pretty hard (left a big dent in it and I think one of the supports was ripped out), went round again and caught the front quarter and then round again. I ended up facing the right way round and next to the barrier as in the photos, which was lucky as there's no hard shoulder. There were no cars immediately around me which was also lucky!

I banged my head on the window but not too hard, and I'm fine. Was a bit shaken but that's all. Very scary experience but could have been worse. The police knew exactly what had happened when they saw it, and were very good and professional. Bit embarassing as they closed the motorway for a few minutes to remove the car and I had to stand with the car while all the rubber-neckers had a good look! Got a few rounds of applause....

As for the car, I think it's probably repairable. It will need a new rear bumper, quarter panel, door panel, front wing, 2 drivers-side alloys, rear and possibly front suspension, tail light, exhaust. The boot is caved in a bit on the right-hand side. In a way I hope it's a write off though, if it is repaired I'm not sure if I'd be able to enjoy it and would probably sell it for a newer one.

I've got my insurance on the case and will be sending it to Chiswick I think. Just hope I don't get any hassle on the claim

Here's how she looked a couple of weeks ago.

(I bet this never happens to Chuck Norris...)

PS I had plenty of tread on my tyres, certainly no less than 5mm all-round.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 AM

It is one of those things mate, nothing really you could have done. I am sure that doesn't make it any better especially to be without a car and thinking that somehow it could have been avoided. Doubt it though.

Hope the car gets fixed to your satisfaction. Chiswick were very good with my car and told my insurance company that they could probably fix it but after having a chat to me they also told them that they might not be able to get the chassis straight and hence would be a danger. The cost for repairs was under 50% but they added that further work would probably increase that to 65%. Ins co wrote it off straight away after that.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

The S2000 is great in the rain - except when you come across standing water. In which case it is utterly ####ing useless at anything above 70mph. Utterly useless.

I normally take around 5mph off my cornering speeds in the S, that's probably about 7% on the b-roads I use. But on motorways in heavy rain I need to take a good 30-40% off just to not die. It's appalling the states you can get into in the S doing the speed limit, when standing water is involved.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 AM

Oh Neil - How awful.

Its a horrible feeling I know....

Hope all sorts itself out quickly
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 AM

At least your ok
Old 04-14-2006, 08:05 AM

That totally sucks I've had mines 'lift' up a few times in standing water and have to say that I agree with Badda that the S2000 is as good as useless in standing water.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Ouch! Glad you are OK. Had something simiar once too. Car will look as good as new when repaired.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really bad luck, Neil. Hope you get it sorted and are back on the road soon ...
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 AM

sorry about this.

Sounds like you were both very unlucky, and very lucky.

Glad you're ok. Hope the car is back soon.

Us full red lads need to stick together
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Saxo Boy,Apr 14 2006, 05:05 PM] That totally sucks

Quick Reply: Aquaplaned, crashed.