UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Arch rot - opinions please

Old 04-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arch rot - opinions please

Hi guys,

I've had my S for a year now, I've done a few bits to it since buying it and got round to sanding down the bubbling arches today. Below are pics of what I have got it down to. I've had rotten arches on previous cars but nothing this bad. I'm going to take it into a body shop but realistically what do you think I should be doing? I'm thinking that is a cut-out and fabricate job, but reading through other posts am I right in saying that there's no pattern arches available anywhere?

I've also looked at arche extensions but not seen anything I like the look of.

Anyone got any advice or what I should be budgeting to spend?

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to give you an idea, i paid £600 last year to have my arches stripped, rust protected and repainted. The 600 also allowed for doing my windscreen surround.

No welding required for me though, looks like you need some doing.

No point asking for budgeting over the Internet, go get some quotes from bodyshops.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM

I only ask as I have little idea what this will cost and would like a figure in my head before I get quoted in case I'm being ripped off.

Thanks though,
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Doesn't look to bad at all, To most body shops it would be a simple cut out and weld in new sections, the main thing is making sure it's protected from behind afterwards, as for price like Mike says very difficult as everyone will have a different experience, the best way is to go to two or three for a price and check the quality of their work,
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Majority of body shops will not 'guarantee' rust removal. If I were you I'd take it somewhere that you're comfortbale with who can weld new sections in then use rust preventative measures/products to protect the new metal, paint then regularly maintain via washing and waxing. My arches are getting a bit untidy, granted it is a Y reg with 125k and used throughout the year.. Snow or shine!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of it also hinges on what the bodyshop tell you they are going to do rather than just price. In the space of three years I've had one arch done twice. On the first occasion the bodyshop told me cut out and weld in a new bit, but told me that by doing this it weakened the metal either side so basically if it started rusting through anywhere other than the small section (and it was a ridiculously small section they cut out) they repaired, I'd have no come back.

Sure enough it rusted through in another area just to the side, where they'd left a hole in the inner wing covered with sealant which peeled off, so a different bodyshop told me they were going to tackle it by grinding back the entire area and just sorting the whole lot. A little more expensive (£300) for one side- and time will tell I guess if this job is any better.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 AM

Thanks guys,

Mines a V reg with 135k on the clocks. I bought the car off my uncle at 117k who'd had it since 70k miles and no longer had room for it (due to building an extension on his house). I only intended to have it for fun but I've done nearly 20k in a year. I use it daily whatever the weather lol

I only took the arch lining rubber things off the other day. They'd trapped loads of mud and moisture.

I'll def take it out and get some comparison prices.

Cheers lads
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Quote:
I only took the arch lining rubber things off the other day. They'd trapped loads of mud and moisture.

Looks like lack of cleaning behind those is one issue , cleaned behind mine again yesterday and still like new underneath.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got pretty much the exact same issue, although not as severe as yours. I've probably been out to 8 body shops and had quotes ranging from £200-£800 for both sides. None will guarantee any rust repair, some use phrases like tidy up, others talk about cutting out rot and welding in new metal.

My dilemma was that I might as well pay £200 with no guarantee than £800 with no guarantee, as either repair could realistically come back within months.

Eventually I went with gut feeling and booked into the body shop that I got the best "vibe" from, they had also been recommended by another s2000 owner that had used them. My car goes in on Thursday at £480 including VAT. Fingers crossed that the repair last a few years, as if it doesn't then I'll be going for the cheapest option next time and selling the car at the earliest opportunity. I can't justify wasting money on rot regardless of how much I love the car.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 52 plate with just 80k miles on the clock. I noticed some minor rust on the front arches from stone chips and then,more recently, some rust bubbles on one of the rear arches. I went to a local garage near me (Earlswood, Solihull) on a friend's recommendation. For £600 some new metal was welded into the rear arch and all four arches were sorted out (including waxoyl between the repairedarches arches and the liners which the garage thought was actually retaining moisture). A rust spot on the drivers sill and a small dent on a rear wing were all repaired. Looks great now (also had the SSR alloys powder coated in gunmetal).

Quick Reply: Arch rot - opinions please