UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask Tango a question about detailing

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Lee.

I'm hoping to do the car next week, waiting for a nice day

Regarding washing the car, any old car wash stuff will do any good cheap ones?

When i wash the car I'm going to hose down first with a pressure washer, what the best procedure to wash/dry the car? (bearing in mind i have your products you sent me ) i have a sheepskin washmit and the MF drying towel.

Also when i have finished waxing/polishing and I'm going to remove the left overs do i use the MF polishing towels or what?

Can i actually polish the windscreen etc or just clean it?, i have no idea.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been pretty good weather through the week, done three cars in that time

Car shampoo acts as a lubricant and optical brightener in the long run its good to get something that will work well with your car and not strip off the wax but as you are applying the wax it should not be a problem. Any car wash product should be fine.

Washing the car;
Washing the car is the most likely point where you will cause swirls so you need to take a few simple steps to minimize these. Hose the car down first to remove the majority of the dirt. Then, by using two buckets of water (one filled with hot water and the other with soapy water), start from the top, where it is cleanest and wipe in one straight direction from back to front. Each time you do so, rinses the mitt in the fresh water and repeat again in the soapy water. It is better to use a wash mitt rather than a sponge because it will capture any grit within its pelt, rather than wiping over the paintwork. When you get near to the bottom of the car be more vigilant about rinsing the mitt in fresh water, as this is the most likely spot any grit may remain.
Now you need to clean the wheels; start by spraying the wheels with a wheel cleaner, then using a spoke cleaner work the product in between the spokes. Rinse this off thoroughly using a wash mitt and some fresh water. This is the grubbiest part of the car so you may want to keep a wash mitt specifically for doing this.
Rinse and dry
Rinse the car down to remove any soap suds of overspray from the wheel cleaner. For the towel to work well it needs to be slightly damp, I find the best way is to wipe down the roof and glass first which will get it damp. Now rest the towel flat across your paintwork, do not wipe it, it will soak any water up. Continue doing so across the car by resting it or dabbing it across the paintwork. If you have a deep pile towel you may need to wipe occasionally especially alog the sides of the car, this is fine with the deep pile as any grit will get buried but be really careful working in one direction and start at the top finishing at the bottom.

Glazing you paintwork
Using an applicator pad wipe firmly a very thin layer of glaze over the cars bodywork in the direction of airflow across the car making sure that if you pick up any dirt you replace the pad. Now wipe it off using a Microfibre polishing towel, folding the towel over each time.

Waxing
Apply by rubbing a small piece about the size of a pea between the palms of my hands. I then wipe my hands in a back and fourth motion across the paintwork of the car applying the wax as thinly as humanly possible. Once I have covered a panel I will buff it off using a fine spray of quick detailer and a MF polishing towel. Then I repeat until the car is complete. After an hour I will buff over the car again to finish off. If you leave the car for at least 24 hours you can apply another layer on top, any more that this though will start to get pointless.

Don't polish the windscreen there are glass polishes especially for this, if it does need a clean then try sope household window cleaner.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Again thanks Lee for all your help
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Xd

No problem, tell us how you get on with the products.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM

Will do
Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Oh forgot to say.

I had some bodywork done on my car it was finished today (sprayed bumper), i presume i dont touch those parts with any products (just thinking of the curing and the fact they wont have any swirls on so no need to detail)?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Xd

They wont have any swirls on they will in a weeks time when all the fillers have worn off. Bodyshops 'mop' cars which means they get the paint level. If you have a good bodyshop they will polish it properly but most don't. I have alway redone my panels when they have come out of a bodyshop.

Your paint will be fine BTW for working on, modern paints need to be cured in the oven so they will be fine.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Noticed the swirls today, quite hard to see as you say with a silverstone. Still seen them, the sun was out and I postioned my head to angle where i could see.

BUT now i cant help but look at others cars and look for swirls

Hopefully will be going ahead with it all on tuesday

Few questions again sorry

If you have filled in paint chips with a touch up pen, does the polishing/cutting with swirl remover help 'flatten' the chip?

Also when i have finished her what the best method to keep her clean/shiny, just wax again or other products?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Xd

I look at other cars and can tell you which panels have been resprayed

If a stonechip has been filled you will need to flatten it either chemically or mechanically. safest way is using a product called Langka to flatten it, afterwards you then need to polish it using a machine. Other method is wet and dry then polish the area.

Every time you wash your car you are damaging the paintwork, the whole process is mechanical so you are moving grit across the car. Best way is to reduce this damage by using two buckets, a deep pile wash mitt and some quality drying microfibre towels. Every month or so top up the wax with another coat. Inbetweeny for a quick shine use a quick detailer or liquid wax. Just remember to try and minimise dragging dirt across the car and protecting with a wax.

You should find with a good wax applied it will be much easier to clean your car, when the rainwater beading starts to go flat on the paintwork, then its time to top up the wax.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 AM

Apoligies if you have answered this before, I read throught the first 10 pages and could find nothing, then the lazy side in me took over and though i would just post!

What is the best way to clean the recess behind the seats where the soft top sits when it is down?

Is it just to contort your body into space and wipe what you can?

Quick Reply: Ask Tango a question about detailing