UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aston Martin Big Brake Kit £950- Register Interest now!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan;
I have looked into other options such as using OEM calliper, however this would then pull away from my original scope of having mainly "off the shelf" parts. My current design allows for standard un-modified 330mm discs.

If trying to use the OEM calliper, custom discs will be required (Re-drilled holes and modified bore). This all adds to maintenance costs.
Also if 2-piece discs were available, I would not want a standard steel calliper. (Personal opinion)

All comes down to personal preference and allowable spend.

To me, the kit cost should always be seen as a one-off. The hidden cost of maintenance is key. With most 2 part disc BBK's, new rotors are a small fortune, and available pads are also very expensive. So my aim was to try and produce a kit at as low a price as possible and have "standard" maintenance costs that are 1/2 or even 1/3 of 2-part disc and pads.

I'll continue to keep an eye out for potential usable discs (330) to use standard calliper, but dont hold much hope for it unfortunately.

LG:
Thanks for that. Interesting read and could look at similar options to use standard calliper. I wanted to avoid having to permanently modify parts as many people will
1) Not want to modify the original for resale purposes.
2) Effort and additional cost to have carriers modified.

This is always an option though and if people are interested, I will happily look at this option. But as with your link, a minimum of 3mm will need to be shaved off the pads (1.5mm each side). All this adding to end user effort.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
. Personally i wouldnt trust a calliper that looked this small either.
Neither would I, who on earth put a kit together for an S2k and thought Dynalites were the appropriate choice of caliper?
They're not stiff enough, they were designed for 750kg sandrails originally - the pedal feel and piston/ seal retraction will be all over the shop for consistancy.
You want to be up with the sealed Midilite offerings at a minimum, just for beam stiffness alone, which still doesn't match the bigger brembo's you're looking at for your kit.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM

First small batch of brackets ordered and should have them in a week or two.
For anyone interested, I will be brining the calliper to be used and disc to ACE Cafe.

Will keep the thread updated once I receive bracket and fit to my car.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what about using Brembo Dc5 calipers with 2 peieces disc?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Brembo DC5 Calipers run on a 300mm disk the same as a s2000. This kit is running on 330mm disk so should be a big improvement over stock
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by har-vey
Brembo DC5 Calipers run on a 300mm disk the same as a s2000. This kit is running on 330mm disk so should be a big improvement over stock
Brembo DC5 also can run on 330 up to 350, my friend has that DC5 with 350 on his car.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM

Very nice setup with the DC5 calipers.
I did not really consider using DC5 calipers before due to the high premium they now hold due to people swapping them. Looking on ebay, caliper set is £500+ and if you want to use anything bigger than the standard 300, you will need to fabricate a bracket to hold caliper on. All can be done, but probably at a higher cost than what I am planning on.

As before, my main goal is to make a BBK using fairly standard parts with a high quality new caliper.
With the Aston Martin calipers, I can source them new with standard of-shelf 330mm discs and easily available pads.
Only thing stopping me using 2 piece discs is cost of buying initially as well as maintenance cost. (Cost of new rotors).

As soon as I receive the brackets, I will fit to car and post pictures.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 AM

completely right, it used to be around 380 GBP for calipers but seems like they are harder to get these days. And you were right as well about bigger rotor will need bracket..Let me know how you get on with Aston Martin and rotor. I'm very interested.

Thanks
Nate
Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 AM

Brackets arrived and kit now complete. Should be on the car soon for testing before releasing final price.
See first post for updated picture.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the kit all fitted

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Big Brake Kit £950- Register Interest now!