UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Autoglym safe on rear window ?

Old 07-24-2001, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoglym safe on rear window ?

Hi all,

I noticed some Instant Show Shine from Autoglym in Halfords this evening, and I was curious. It states on the tin that can be used on plastics, perspex, rubber & vinyl... Abrasive free.

my question is if its safe to use on the rear window ?

Its just that if its ok, ill not need to get some plexus. I know plexus is the big daddy, but will this autoglym be ok.. ?

jonathan.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't specifically for cleaning plastic rear windows...

I use BMW plastic screen polish . It's a white paste that needs to be rubbed in. Brings the screen up beautifully without any trace.

It was mentioned by a couple of plexus users (Hi Andy/Ross...) that plexus leaves a film over the window. Some swirling could be seen.....

OK downside to BMW paste. It's damned hard work. You'll need to set aside a good couple of hours and be prepared for a cricked kneck when doing the inside.

Upside - gets rid of all the gunk that the screen seems to acquire....

Downside - shows up all the little scratches the plastic screens picked up when folded....

My views...
Old 07-24-2001, 03:12 PM

Andy, thanks for the feedback.

It does mention that it cleans all plastics, but not specifically rear windows. Does Plexus mention this.. ? I thought Plexus was primarily used for cleaning Fish Tanks, Motorbike Visors and Aviation equipment made of plastic, but people have adopted it to clean their rear windows.

I've since bought some of the autoglym and tried it on some acrylic and plastic lying around the house... it seems to work ok.
No scratches or swirls. Although I wasn't too sure to try it on my rear windscreen just yet.

I think though Im going to get Plexus, but in the meantime while I wait for an order to arrive (from pyramidpastics) I think I might try to just clean it with a slightly damp detailing cloth.

I just need to clean it soon because its very greasy. I use my car everyday and park it outdoors so needless to say my car needs to be cleaned every three days.

Did you get the BMW paste from the dealers ? Ive not seen any in the shops.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:48 PM

I use Plexus and its very easy to use, it does leave a film initially put you just polish this off with a clean cloth. It's a 5 minute job and the screen comes up like new. Plexus is also supposed to fill in those little scratches as it polishes, I can't vouch for this as I don't have any scratches on mine.

I agree with the comment about cleaning the inside, damn awkward!
Old 07-25-2001, 01:05 AM

Plexus is No 1. Any other product that comes in a white paste/paste format is not practical. I have this and U have to be extra careful not to get it on the black hood. Too much hard workand time wasted tring to wipe the paste off. Also if the window is very dirty the paste could leave scratches is a clean cloth is not use with every stoke to whipe the cream of. U can't even clean the window when the sun is out!

Plexus is a five minute job and its looks good as new.

RL
Old 07-25-2001, 01:11 AM

T'is true. Andy, Andy and I (Hi to you both also) were talking and maybe I am just not polishing off enough, but I have found that Plexus leaves a filmy layer over the screen.

I agree it cleans it brilliantly, its clear and shiny in moments, but I do wonder what the long term effect of using Plexus will be.

Perhaps using Plexus as the regular cleaner, and then once a month/quarter use something like the BMW paste to strip off the Plexus and start again? Andy - you use the BMW stuff, what do you think??

Ross
Old 07-25-2001, 01:26 AM

I have used Meguiars plastic polsh so far and been very impressed. No talk of it here. I also use the 3M cloth. I can't be happier so far. Any bad results with this stuff??? i just love how it does the job quick like windex. Am I missing something??? What about the Zaino's platic cleanier.. any input on that??
Old 07-25-2001, 01:30 AM

Not having used Plexus I've got to admit that I'm tempted purely from the ease of use aspect!

The BMW paste is really good. It makes the screen look like glass. I should have put the hood up so you could have taken a look. The down side to it is that it shows up where there's scratches. I found my screen to be quite badly scratched on the fold. My guess is that it rubs on the roll bars.

When giving it a rub with the paste you do notice that the screen gets covered with a greasy film during day to day running. The paste cuts this away.

What you don't want to do with any screen cleaning product is do what I did with my barchetta. I put the cloth on the floor first (to let me put the roof up) picked it up, gave it a good shake and then started cleaning. It took me about 30s to realise my mistake. I never got the scratches out....

Moral of the story. Don't scrimp on cloths - use a new one every time when you come to the plastic screen!

At the next meeting I'll allow myself an anorack moment and we can compare screens....
Old 07-25-2001, 01:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never went back to Autoglm after using PLEXUS, if buying a new S2000, fit roofwell MUZ mat, use plexus, it will then stay new!

Seeing as I travelled so far and only had maybe 1/2 an hour in total over 120 (km officer) I was pleased to get 31 mpg!! Normally 23-25 Vtec-ing everywhere!!
Old 07-25-2001, 02:10 PM

I have only used Plexus and therefore can only recommend it.
It is easy to use and the results are always very good indeed.
It takes five minutes maximum to clean inside and out, simply spray on and wipe off.
Try it, if you need details of a stockist, let me know, I think you will be impressed.

Quick Reply: Autoglym safe on rear window ?