UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in July i bought.....

Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

so she passed her MOT today at 18 years old
pretty pleased with that

the abs controller was fubar, the black part on the back is the controller board (on the right in the pic) and probably has a dry joint somewhere (common issue on some cars)

new (ebay) one went in, fairly easy swap you just have to take care not to cross threads on the brake lines into the unit, then bleed everything, front and then rear

i also gave it a bit of a clean under there haha..

so she's back on the road.. yay
Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's very common, since they took the lead out of solder. So it's probably unfair to blame Bosch shite...

I believe it's usually the case that if you re-melt all of the joints, it should be good to go. Just like Honda main relays, but a bit more fiddly.

Of course, you've then got a working, but redundant ABS controller.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:20 AM

i can't see how it comes apart without breaking it Nick.. though i did think along the same lines although i'm ham fisted with a soldering iron at best
the auto leccy who looked at it said it's very common as you say, it flags as a rear fault but he said you never believe it, just test the sensor at the ABS plug, if it kicks out voltage and has the right resistance it's fine. makes sense in hindsight

ironically the abs unit (a £1k part) is cheaper used than a sensor (a £180 part).. £35-45 vs £55-£80.. and easy to test too, just plug it in first

i think one of my sensors was buggered though, as it gave no voltage driving the rears at 30mph on axle stands
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice going, the ABS unit looks fiddly to get out and with fluid everywhere i assume ha.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's fiddly and a job for a brain surgeon.

I believe this is the same assembly:

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-tec...repair-254609/
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM

i still cant figure it and have broken the corner off the case

ham fisted

it's not as bad as it looks Tuner, you just need to be very careful screwing the brake lines back in, not much came out, I left a big rag under it all. You can remove the mounting bracket with the unit in place and then there's reasonable room

this car had been running hot when it melted on Arturs so that maybe didn't help but ecutesting do list a repair for this so it cant be that uncommon
Old 01-09-2018, 02:23 AM

xmas update

I'd been having an issue with stalling and AJ has been more than helpful in trying to address it but we'd not been making progress. I decided it was probably a physical fault rather than tuning issue so, after reading a comment from Ray @ Daytona i thought i'd whip the intake pipe off and check the TB..

It had a ring of carbon built up around the butterfly so i took it off and gave it a clean with carb cleaner and some ultra fine detailers wet and dry. I've since done about half a dozen trips in the car and no stalls (it's been stalling every journey beforehand, just as you pop it into neutral at junctions etc).. result!

Car has been happily performing school run duties without issues so is now approaching 2 months trouble free.. i hope that doesnt jinx it. starting to feel like it could be ready for track days this year
Old 05-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Jesus it's slow progress

I've been using the car for daily school run duties (some would say a near perfect match of design to requirements) and it's actually been behaving
the stalling was sorted with a map tweak from AJ and a good clean of the throttle body which is a pretty easy job tbh
I've removed the cat ready for a bit of track action so just need to tune it up in decat state

the back brakes, which i had some issues with, are telling me in a squeaky voice they are binding a bit so got these

but didnt like the colour so hired a pro

banl hol job sorted in between Donny classic

HT came off.. i clayed and polished that

then a shameless pic of the NA one .. younger than the S2R (new nickname) but probably worse underneath and nicer on top

Old 05-04-2018, 01:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope your paying the professional. He's doing a stonking job! (Although dangerously close to the wooden work surface!)

Quick Reply: Back in July i bought.....