UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Batteries.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Amuse Boy,May 29 2007, 09:11 PM] New battery from Honda will cost
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM

You can check if a battery is charging properly or not.

Remove the caps/cover over the cells and put it on charge - if there are no bubbles rising from the plates during this process, the cell is stuffed.
(take care - no naked flames etc, wear eye protection)
Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM

The Optimate charger I use only has an output of 1 AH, but it I leave the S on charge whenever it is parked in my garage - I only use the S over weekends. The Optimate is also an "intelligent charger", i.e. it can not overcharge, and assists in desulphating the battery plates. I use these conditioning / intelligent chargers on my m/bikes, and vehicles .. they really do extend the life of batteries in vehicles that are not used regularly.

The C-Tek range of chargers are also excellent ... I use the big XS25000 model on the 3 x 105 AH batteries installed in my Land Cruiser. This model has an 8-stage charging / recond / maintenance mode cycle. I never have warm beer when in Namibia / Botswana in 50 deg C ambient temperatures!

The smaller C-Tek chargers would be great for the puny 35 AH battery in the S2K.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 29 2007, 09:04 PM
it went flat again at CoG what with having the brake lights on for some time.
My battery went flat when COG were working on the car ....... but it is only a little battery.

During the winter it would go flat in a week if I didn't use the car
Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 AM

Connecting a conditioning charger with the car's electrics still attached goes against the advice in the handbook, namely, to disconnect the battery when using any type of charger. Having said that, I don't, and it seems that few owners on here do either. Is this just an @rse-covering warning on the part of Honda or is there a real danger of doing some damage?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 AM

yes it most definately is arse covering. however any horrible cheap batt chargers may destroy your electrics but something reputable such as an optimate is fine so i believe!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by euan,May 29 2007, 11:48 PM
You can check if a battery is charging properly or not.

Remove the caps/cover over the cells and put it on charge - if there are no bubbles rising from the plates during this process, the cell is stuffed.
(take care - no naked flames etc, wear eye protection)
and mind possible sparks from the charger clips.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the C-Tek XS800 in the end. I left it for 8 hours this afternoon, and after that the car started fine. Seems like a worthwhile bit of kit to have.

Where does everybody connect these things to? Reading the instructions (after I'd used it ), it's fairly specific about connecting the -ve to the chassis and not the battery, which is odd. I just stuck the clips on the battery.

Anybody think of an issue there?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 31 2007, 10:26 PM
Where does everybody connect these things to? Reading the instructions (after I'd used it ), it's fairly specific about connecting the -ve to the chassis and not the battery, which is odd. I just stuck the clips on the battery.
I've always connected my own CTEK that way and haven't had any problems with it.

It even came with a loop connector which you can attach to the battery terminals as a permanent fitting and just plug in when needed - not sure why they'd ship it with that if you weren't supposed to connect to the terminals.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 31 2007, 01:26 PM

Anybody think of an issue there?
The only reason they recommend that the -ve is attached to a chassis earth point is to negate the risk of sparks when attaching it. The positive should be connected first to the battery, and then the -ve to a good chassis earth point.

But I have often attached both clamps direct to the battery (carefully though - no sparks ... )

Quick Reply: Batteries.