UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Battery

Old 09-05-2001, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

not used my s2k for a few weeks (moving house + holiday). tried to start it last weekend - flat battery. car's only 2 years old. anyone else had a similar problem?

anyone know any wierd reason why i can't stick it on a trickle charger for 24 hours? if i remove the battery to charge it, will i have alarm/stereo problems when i put it back?

ta

s
Old 09-05-2001, 09:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I plan to not use a vehicle for up to 2 weeks at a time, I put a "smart" charger on it. This is a trickle charger with a brain. Try putting on the trickle charger over night. It should get you started but it is not recommended that an almost dead battery be fully charged while driving in the vehicle. The car's charging system was not designed for this. You should disconnect the battery from the car and charge it properly (if it will take a charge). And yes, you will need the radio code when you power it up again. As for the car alarm, have your remote transmitter handy as it might go off when the power's back on.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:22 AM

What alarm do you have? I think that someone on the main board had a problem with the alarm draining the battery over time. I think it was some kind of active system. I don't think that I've left my car for much longer than a week.

If you disconnect the battery, you'll need the security code for the radio (assuming it's stock). The Honda alarm will re-arm itself, but you'll hear an extra beep first time it's set. Don't charge the battery while it's connected, as that could damage the alternator. Always disconnect the earth first and re-connect it last!
Old 09-06-2001, 01:30 AM

I had exactly the same problem a week ago, after leaving the car for two weeks it would not start.

Jump started it and it was ok for a week then last Friday it failed twice.

Dealer confirmed it was a batch of faulty batteries and the immobiliser draining the system. Their demonstrator has/has the same problem.

Get your battery changed and that "should" rectify the fault.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:28 AM

hmmm....i've got the honda thatcham 1 alarm. thing is that i turned it off when i went on holiday, so that can't be the thing that has drained the battery. i checked in my manual last night and it warns against trickle-charging unless you remove the car battery leads. anyone know anything about tracker? i've got one of these on the car as well - is that going to work if i disconnect and then reconnect the battery?

maybe i'll just jump it off another car. it goes in for a service next week anyway, so by the sounds of it i should get a new battery.

s
Old 09-06-2001, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tracker has it's own battery, but uses the normal battery unless it's disconnected. (The battery is there so Tracker works for 2 days after the battery is disconnected.)

Try Tracker customer services to see what they think.

Someone else had problems with flat batteries after using the S2000 as an occasional car. A battery conditioner does the tricky.
Or going for a drive every day

-Brian.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:29 AM

My battery totally failed on me also.
I got a new one under warranty.
It was the reason the AA man damaged my car
Get it checked out by your dealer as it could let you down fully.
There seems to be a dodgy batch of batteries floating about
Old 09-06-2001, 09:54 AM

ok, thanks guys - i appreciate the advice. i'll speak to the dealer and see what they say about replacing the battery.

unfortunately i haven't found a decent dealer in surrey yet, so i'm going to try the one in thames ditton (seen some -ve comments about them floating around in this forum). i'll let y'all know how i get on.

s