UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best Speakers?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The ONLY way to choose ICE (or any kind of HI-FI for that matter) is to listen to it for yourself, go to a good ICE dealer and get them to demo what they have, choose what you like. Sensitivity is just one factor and is about how loud it goes for how much power you put in, it's not a measure of quality.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 637 Likes on 554 Posts

you can fit components with tweeters down near the main speaker, it's not ideal but gets you away from coaxials, its better if tweeters are higher up however

a recent thread here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...o/page__st__25

I would say that to get a decent sound you need an underseat sub at the very least. Without that mine sounded cack as the small speakers you can fit cannot do bass imo

the best setup is something for bass, something for midrange and something for high range, as soon as you don't do that it's compromised imo
Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 304 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
The ONLY way to choose ICE (or any kind of HI-FI for that matter) is to listen to it for yourself, go to a good ICE dealer and get them to demo what they have, choose what you like. Sensitivity is just one factor and is about how loud it goes for how much power you put in, it's not a measure of quality.
There's no point listening to a speaker in a car audio showroom as it will sound completely different once installed in a car.
The same speaker will sound very different in the same car if sound deadening has been added.
To test this sort of thing out, listen to music while the car is stationary, and then lower the windows - result, completely different characteristics.
Next, lower the roof and put the windows back up - a different sound again.

Given that car audio speakers within the same sort of price range are all pretty much of a muchness, if you don't plan to use an amp, then going for a set with higher sensitivity is a good idea, especially in a convertible where volume is a lot more important than usual.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend that you listen to some Focals before you buy them,
they have a very distinct sound. I'm not a fan, but obviously a lot of guys dig them.

Morel have a great sound, I have their cheapest model in my DD and I urge you to find somewhere you can listen to them.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 AM

and keep in mind your stereo will have some bass / treble controls so you can tweak what you hear

that volume point is very important - as you approach high volume if you ask a 6.5cm speaker to do it all it will distort in my experience and hood down the S is a noisy place

anything above 80mph and the stereo without an amp is going to be difficult to hear.. on track obviously
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMoose
I would highly recommend that you listen to some Focals before you buy them,
they have a very distinct sound. I'm not a fan, but obviously a lot of guys dig them.

Morel have a great sound, I have their cheapest model in my DD and I urge you to find somewhere you can listen to them.
see i had the morels in my SQ civic setup and they were crystal clear but definitely needed a sub to compensate for the lack of bass.

and with my teg i dont wanna waste the space for a sub in the boot, so im looking for an all in one solution which the focals in the S seem to perform fine.

its just a case as to which focals to go for if the above hertz that were linked may be better.. and agreeing with other users, hearing a setup in halfords or something is not the same as hearing it installed in any particular car which makes it more difficult!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:58 AM

try one of these

http://ridebass.com/reviewing-some-o...at-subwoofers/
Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i dont intend on putting an amp in, and dont wanna spend more money on an underseat sub, hence why some decent components will suffice

thanks though
Old 06-09-2015, 06:40 AM
UK Moderator

Received 304 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by lukeyboi89
i dont intend on putting an amp in, and dont wanna spend more money on an underseat sub, hence why some decent components will suffice

thanks though
The trouble with that is that, in general, better speakers require more amplification to work well.

Better speakers won't give you more bass on their own, I'm afraid. As above, some with relatively high sensitivity are your best bet, though.

the usual tricks with sound deadening will help, too.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much sound deadening do you think you'll need for two doors?

Has anyone done any other parts of car?

Quick Reply: Best Speakers?