UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best Test Pipe for Drone Reduction

Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I absolutely agree with you guys that the Helmholtz (especially if it's already built into the exhaust as it is on some systems) is the way to go and getting the right one in the first place is SO much less hassle. However, for £50 I think the Silent Coat 4mm pack deserves a go.. Worst case it'l give my speakers some more shove when I use what's leftover to do the doors for that very purpose

I considered the UK mod, but my zorst had a broken hanger (one I couldn't easily sort out) and this cat-back came up on the forum.

Absolutely no branding whatsoever, I have no idea who the maker is... Could be totally custom.. It's straight through with no silencers built in, and has rolled as opposed to flat tips. It sounds a little like the Skunk2 from what I can gather. I thought it may be the M2 system, but that comes with bungs and therefore bung holes.. Which this doesn't have.

Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting miracles with the deadening, but I am very curious to try it!

Cheers,

Matt
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM

Update for those interested;

My first package of sound deadening material turned up in time for the weekend. I opted for 5 sheets of 4mm Silent Coat, and approximately 10 sheets of 2mm. Long story short, I applied the 4mm stuff to the areas I thought to be worst affected by the vibrations; so around the boot area underneath the car (on the exhaust side) and then additionally in the boot, over the wheel arches, across the rear strut brace, etc. I even put some on the boot lid for good measure.

dB testing results were extremely promising; peak dB on a 10 minute drive with the roof up measured at 106 in the cabin pre deadening, average dB was up at around 98-99. Max dB has now dropped to 103 on the same drive, and average is now down to 93-94. The drone itself is definitely dramatically reduced and even with the roof off, the exhaust is a lot more tolerable in that 3.5-4.5k rpm range.

My second lot of material to turn up hopefully this week is the Silent Coat closed cell foam, which works with the deadening to actually block the sound and stop it from entering the cabin. The main area of focus for that will be the boot. I'm hoping to get the peak dB down to about 101 and the average down to 90-91 on my test route with this. I believe if I can get the dB levels down to my desired values, the exhaust will be very viable as is, without the need for bungs, helmholtz, etc.

Will update and add pictures when I do my second phase.

If I don't quite get the levels desired, I will add deadening and CCF around the passenger footwell and the rear bulkhead, although I don't want to start ripping too much of my interior apart.

Last edited by Matt1783; 06-19-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like your having some success, where did you get the stuff from?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 AM

Amazon mate -
Amazon Amazon

I can't compare to Dynamat because i've not used it, but the 4mm stuff certainly seems to punch the ticket and you really don't need that much of it! Putting the Closed Cell Foam down this weekend and then hopefully some accoustic tiles after that to dampen any potential reflections... Excited for the final results!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Whats it like with the roof down mate? If its dry i have mine down even on trackdays and the BuddyClub is loud at WOT and drones at 3-4k! Currently have the stock exhaust back on as i got a hole in the hanger and am loving the lack of drone lol.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 AM

Roof off the ear killing vibrations are massively reduced, but it's still very loud What i've done so far would cost you £50 and 4-5 hours to do, and it's well worth the investment
Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just fitted a Fujitsubo Legalis R and a BERK HFC.

Honestly now.. zero drone. It's barely much louder than stock at idle, only comes on song in VTEC. 3-4k I cannot tell the difference from stock.

It's the way to go if you want a quiet aftermarket exhaust I'm sure of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:18 AM

Honestly Sipha I really don't disagree with you, or anyone else that has the disposable spare to drop £700+ on an exhaust system: If i'd have had that available that's what I would've done and will do in future. However, this was about making a quick improvement (and to me, this is still better than stock even with it's shortcomings). However, I was curious as to what could be done to improve the situation with relatively little expense. I know there are probably other forum owners in the same situation, or that want an exhaust but NEED to spend the money on a roof or something else first, blah blah blah.. Either way, just trying to help find an alternative that's cheaper and tolerable to most of the community Plus I'm learning loads about sounds at the same time! Win-Win!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, it is expensive unfortunately. Thats the only downside really.

If you can get the desired effect with sound deadening then great ! Bare in mind it will still be as loud outside though if your planning on passing track noise regs ?

Simon
Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 AM

Hey Si,

Not fussed about a sound test / track days just now, I need to sort my alignment bolts out first ;( The car pulls left and is wearing the tyres on the inside edge too much for the alignment to be correct, and really and truly before considering putting her out on track I need to get those things sorted out - don't want a nasty off! I've spent many, many hours getting the bodywork in to some kind of acceptable shape! Just trying to make the car socially acceptable on the inside - at least cyclists will never be able to say they didn't hear me coming

Add to that my Dad and Step-mum drive a Prius; which is the total opposite in terms of noise.. And I am still enjoying winding them up!

Last edited by Matt1783; 06-23-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Anecdotal story added

Quick Reply: Best Test Pipe for Drone Reduction