UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet release not working

Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bonnet release not working

As in the title, when I pull the handle to pop the bonnet, nothing happens.

There seems to be tension in the wire that runs from the release catch, but there isn't the 'biting point' followed by a clunk which is usually the bonnet opening.

Any ideas or does anybody know how to bypass the release catch ?

Bit of a king sized pain as I'm off to France for a week of hooning in a few days so it could be a hurried trip down the dealers to get it fixed as I will definitely need to check the oil.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a search. I can remember someone having this problem before and it was a PITA to fix.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm guessing you'll need to jack the front up, take the bottom undertray off, and then you should be able to get to the bonnet release catch and open it manually.

Once it's open you can have a look at it to see what's not working. Might just be a case that the release catch is stuck. Probably just a loose connection.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do seize unfortunately.

Make sure they are greased regularly and you will probably avoid this.

Not sure if you can simply remove the undertray as I think the radiator shield is also in the way.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM

LTB

I had the problem a few months back and solved it, I have a pit so was easyier but jack the car up, remove the plastic under trays, oncee u have done that, u will see the area around the bonnet catch, and if u remember there is a black plastic shroud held in place by some plastic dowls, i pushed them off using a long screw driver

once i had done that the area to the from of the catch couldd be seen from underneather. Th catch itself has a plactic plater over it, u need to do the smae to that remove it and it will sound like u are breaking it, but its just stiff plastic.

once u have done that, with the same long screw driver push on the lock mech as someone is pulling the bonnet release lever and it will pop open,

it will take you about 20 mins all in all, when u take the ctach off u may find that one of the two springs has broken, which it had with mine, i ordered a new one through honda b4 i started the job so i could just either fit it if it needed it or take it back. it think it was about 29 0r 34 quid for the whole lock and plastic cover

honda when i asked them said leave it with us for a few hours and we will see what we can do, yeah right they did not have a clue and would have done the same, any problems mail me
Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 AM

Had this once, but luckily it opened right at the end of the lever movement. Loads of grease on the mechanism to stop it sticking again!

Sadly, if you aint as lucky, you will have to follow phils2k's instructions, and it is a PITA!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 AM
LTB

As I don't have anywhere to get it up on ramps at my place (my driveway is on a slope) I had booked it in to my dealer to get this looked at next week.

Was just driving to work and it popped up all by itself. Luckily the safety catch did its job, but I reckon that's a bit of a result.

Spent 5 minutes once at work working the mechanism with my fingers to get some movement into it as I don't have any oil grease in the car, but will get that sorted when I get home later.

Thanks for all the advice, just lucky I didn't have to use any of it.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:51 AM

they will sting you for it, before i had that problem i had it similar to u, alot of grease is on them and they get jammed,

well i woul dsay go home and jack it up and i am sure u could do it from there save yourself some dough
Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by phils2k,May 18 2007, 01:51 PM
they will sting you for it, before i had that problem i had it similar to u, alot of grease is on them and they get jammed,

well i woul dsay go home and jack it up and i am sure u could do it from there save yourself some dough
Good advice mate, but I think you can't have read my last post properly

I intend to get it home, give it a good covering with WD40 to remove all the crud and then apply some silicone spray to keep it lubricated.

I actually think that slapping loads of copper grease etc on it doesn't do it any favours as it soon gets crudded up and baked on with the engine heat causing the sticking.

Silicone works much better IMO.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 AM

Just had the exact same problem on recently purchased 2002, which had also just been serviced by Honda Dealer.
Followed phils2k advice and sorted the problem (good lad)- didn't have ramp or pit - just jacked up passenger side to give a bit more room. Follow instructions - took abot 1 hr to get bonnet released, half of this was spent getting one bl****y bolt off undertray.
Also broke bolt holding release mechanism - this was full of crud - nothing broken just stuck. Cleaned, sprayed with WD40 - working a treat. Now just have to jut everything back together. Recommend spraying bolts before trying to remove as these had a fair bit of rust on them.
Advice to all new owners - spray regularly and don't rely on dealer to look at this. From looking at forums this is a common problem, and a right pain.