UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bore Scratches

Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
I'm not entirely sure what people are doing to them on rebuilds. Mine started up and purred like a kitten. even with a block and head skim.
you should be careful or that’ll start you a sideline mate

or Chip
Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Well,he made more progress today !
Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Long time since an update Chippo, hows the engine coming along?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently bought my first property so things have been slow.

My doubts got the best of me and a re stripped the engine and got the full rotating assembly balanced. the flywheel and pressure plate being quite a bit out, both after market parts... something to consider if you're upgrading.
Rods balanced end to end with a few grams out between them and pistons all weight corrected, the crank was in perfect condition, no surprise there, that all set me back £120 so it seems like a no brainer if someone decides to rebuild.

The engine is mostly built, I spotted a worn rocker arm roller where it contacts the camshaft, slight rough/dip point specifically on number one intake cam roller where my cam shaft had pitted. Received the parts this week so should get it together at least.

Hopefully get it back in the car soon.

Last edited by tobyCHIPPO; 07-20-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Quick update. Everything is back in the car, fitted the oem map sensor/injectors, made up a temporary air intake out of various bits of turbo pipe/filter, As I will be running it in n/a till I know everything is ok and compression is good

Took the fuel pump fuse out to turn the engine over and get the oil around and all sounded good, Just waiting on a map to start her up!
Old 09-30-2018, 02:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tobyCHIPPO
Quick update. Everything is back in the car, fitted the oem map sensor/injectors, made up a temporary air intake out of various bits of turbo pipe/filter, As I will be running it in n/a till I know everything is ok and compression is good

Took the fuel pump fuse out to turn the engine over and get the oil around and all sounded good, Just waiting on a map to start her up!

This is getting close. Looking forward to hearing how how it goes!

Given the time and effort (not to mention cost) involved in this rebuild I hope it will put to bed the myth F20C engines can’t be reliably rebuilt, but are perfectly possible if done with patience and attention to detail. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Well shes now running, very smooth. done a startup for about 10-15 minutes getting everything hot and coolant bled through.

Changed the oil and it was as clean as when it went in apart from slight discoloration from the lube we used on components on assembly.

I did take it for a quick go down the road, it pulls well and its very smooth, far smoother than I remember it being absolutely no smoke from the exhaust.

Got to sort my insurance and book mot now.

Ill try and get a vid up at some point
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Congrads
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice! How much are you going to charge for engine rebuilds then?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fellblade
Nice! How much are you going to charge for engine rebuilds then?
I ain't building anyone's motor!

So I have had two days of worring, basically it ran/ drove fine after the intial start/oil change. Next day it wouldn't start, turn over perfectly fine but wouldnt fire. did eventually get it running and it was missing backfiring etc.

Spent two days worried it had died. but it obviously seemed fuel/ignition issue. Checked all the coil packs which were fine, made sure all the pins in the coil plugs are contacting, Checked the fuel regulator piping all fine. I had a 1 colder step spark plugs in there, so I changed them for some new ngk 7772 and it ran perfect.

Got it mot'd and tax today and had a bit of a drive about, done 3x pulls of 1/2 throttle 3/4 throttle and full throttle up to 6k rpm and letting the revs drop without braking back to 2k from what I read up this is a good way of bedding the rings in.
Its feeling very pokey considering and sounds mental with the air filter from the turbo setup! No leaks but a bit of oil residue in the coolant where i forgot to strip the coolant pump...

So I have another 420miles to go till I change the oil to a semi synthetic oil (mineral in there at the moment) and another 500 miles on that all ill be done ready for the next stage.

Quick Reply: Bore Scratches