UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake kit options

Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are they like from cold?

Ie normal road conditions.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KIP
What are they like from cold? Ie normal road conditions.
Nothing wrong with them. My car is a daily driver so my brakes are only subjected to normal road conditions. Like I said, couple of jabs at the brake pedal as you set off and they are perfect. They are not dangerous when cold, they just require a bit more brake pedal pressure.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Excellent. Have you tried ceratec and shims to stop the noise?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't no, to be fair it doesn't bother me that much. I know earls_f20c's RC5+ pads squeal more than mine (for whatever reason, I'm not sure why, I'm probably just imagining it).

From what I can gather from the reviews, the RC5+ don't squeal half as much as the RC6's, so I just count myself lucky.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
I haven't no, to be fair it doesn't bother me that much. I know earls_f20c's RC5+ pads squeal more than mine (for whatever reason, I'm not sure why, I'm probably just imagining it).

From what I can gather from the reviews, the RC5+ don't squeal half as much as the RC6's, so I just count myself lucky.
I've got RC6's, they don't really squeal.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 PM

ive run the rc5+ for a year now, they have just done about half their life, 4 track days inc spa. they have done a set of oem discs but havent got round to changing them yet, will do early next year, just not worth bothering with fancy discs imo

found them to be very good, as i keep saying to people,

my setup is -

braided lines,
rbf600 fluid,
standard discs.

tbh, i get a bit of fade every now and then, but that is my fault completely, i get a bit over exuberant with the braking distances on track now and then and really stamp on them very late (sometimes too late ... )

i serviced my caliper slider pins before the final track day a 2 months or so ago with mintex ceratec, and put a small amount on the rear of the pad, it stopped them squeeling for a while, only started again a couple of weeks ago, i will look for something else to help, there are meant to be 'glues' that stop this, but i think youll always get it.

i wont hesitate buying CL pads again, but i will be going for the even more aggressive RC6 pad to try out, as the only time i really drive my car is if im going to do some spirited driving. its not a DD.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Why do you still use the standard discs? They've always been the weakest part of any OEM brake system I've used on a Honda.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do you still use the standard discs? They've always been the weakest part of any OEM brake system I've used on a Honda.
Im the same as Dan as in now i dont bother with post expensive discs, i use cheap OEM style bremtech blanks. The main issue being is that the two piece is too expensive and im not 100% convinced it will that much cooling over the OEM disc. Spending £500 to find out they arent good enough is abit of a gamble.

OEM style discs are fine and better than alot of the drilled slotted combinations out on the market. At least with a blank disc you havent got any weakness in it to start with.

My set up at the moment is Bremtech, XP10, Super Blue, Wasp brake duct shields. In the future im plumbing in a couple of low amp Bilge blowers £20 each into the ducting so i can use them on trackdays to force more air through the discs. I think the OEM disc is up to the job assuming you get enough airflow through the disc.

I'm very tempted to go for the two piece discs but i want to experiment with the new set up next year and see if the fans make a big difference to the cooling. If they do then great it will save me alot of money in the long run. Not a traditional set up at the moment but that doesnt mean it wont work.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Fair play, I'm going to get the 2 piece option as I've done it on two previous cars and had excellent results.

Yeah it might be overkill and a lot of money but I wouldn't be happy if I didn't do it.

What are these ducts you're speaking of? Is there a way of ducting and keeping the OEM look?

EDIT never mind, had a Google, not for me I don't think.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 427 Likes on 363 Posts

Go for oem blanks or similar and save the money for some cooling, it will make a huge difference on the track.
I did my similar to this guide http://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm
The wasp kit is pretty expensive but might save some time on fitting http://waspcomposites.com/brake-cooling-kit

Quick Reply: Brake kit options