UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brin Jones, Bristol

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Brin Jones, Bristol

Bit of backgorund before I get to my point: So as some may recall some moron hit me nearly a year ago (and is still lying so claim not settled ) Anyway, Brin Jones being the nearest Honda approved (and Porsche, Merc) bodyshop got the work which included a new offside wing, door and rear bumper. This was somewhat based on other Bristol people's experiences

All good so far other than going in once more to be polished properly and pushing a slight bulge out if the nearside rear wing . At the same time I had asked them to respray the front bumper and nearside wing as the bumper was stone chipped and the wing had been SMART repaired at some point and looked crap. This was done for cash, fair enough. However, there was a small imperfection on the wing just where the badges go and I was told that they couldn't do anything about it so I left it on the assumption the badges would cover it.

Fast forward to this July and I've still not stuck the badges on through not being arsed. Anyway, I notice when cleaning the car that the lacquer along the nearside wing bonnet edges look like it's moved (odd I know) and separated . Also, the nearside rear wing on the edge that bends round the bootlid had split and was rusting from underneath This was the wing that wasn't replaced but I suspect that pushing the bulge out had broken the paint. So I took it back expecting the usual 'not our problem guv' response and was pleasantly surprised when they offered to sort both However, the condition being that the front wing could not be guaranteed. I wasn't in a hurry so it went in eventually (after one failed attempt to get the re-work started) and I got it back a couple of weeks ago with a couple of addtional 'flaws' in the lacquer polished out on the offside door/wing. So good service overall on that front

This weekend I give it a good old going over and in the bright sunlight notice that the nearside wing looks a lighter shade of black than the bumper almost green/black compared to the new deep black. Now I know the new panels were blended into the front wing on the other side but I also checked the offside wing against and the bootlid and same thing So I take it back in today (there was also some overspray from the rework on the bumper) and ask their opinion. Of course it is overcast and looks 'ok' so it's difficult to tell. It gets passed up to the big boss who says it's 'acceptable' and they can't do anything else Apparently, the bootlid was blended with the original job but I don't think it was because it still has scratches/swirls from before - of course they say it was and send me on my way after the 'I've been in this business 40yrs, you're an enthusiast' talk

So, overall they've been co-operative and helpful, I'm just disappointed with all these niggles But should I get a second opinion on the paint/blending or just live with it Even if they tried to match the rear wing the paint wouldn't match right? Am I being too pedantic here or is that the way things are?

I know a few people have had repairs recently there and I've told them that a lot of those were through recommendations on here hence this 'review'

Thoughts please? I'd really like a proper clean/polish and just have it back to 'normal'
Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 AM

"Black cars look beautiful but they are a pain to clean and just as hard to paint"
That excuse you can understand from a smart repair/chips away repair guy..... If these guys have been in the business and are dealing with Porsche, Merc and other so called prestige cars they should be able to do a near perfect job!!
I bet if you were a dealer they would bend over backwards.
If I were you I would play a face! My car is a 2000 and I am having some paint done and I will not be happy unless it is perfect! I am behind you all the way mate!!!
Good luck!!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Umski,Sep 15 2008, 07:07 AM
At the same time I had asked them to respray the front bumper
If you are after a factory finish worth bearing in mind that front bumpers come pre-painted from Honda. (at least they do for later cars.)