UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying Advice - Is this a worth it?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been to look at the car? That'll be the best indicator I think. You can never really tell in photos.

If you're gonna want to keep the car for a while, you'll be losing cash regardless of how much you spend on it initially.

The servicing mileage would make me ask more questions than anything else without seeing the car!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 AM

If you do buy a Black one get yourself `Autoglym for dark colours` really good stuff, makes life easy.

The issue with this mentioned car is the miles, even if you put 15k on it it just gets so close to the old fashioned thing about 100k miles, silly really because the S2000 is capable of far far more if taken care of.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 AM

Lurking Lawyer - Good point, never thought of it that way? Does that mean "officially" the car should reflect whether its a GT or not? (log book etc)?
I mean at the end of the day, he's admitted he doesnt sell many (if any) S2000's, so if he does want more i could haggle on the grounds of whether it says GT on log book (if thats the case) & the fact that he'll be stuck with it if not?

Dracoro - Ok understood with the servicing, but how can i check whats been done though? Is it obvious from the SH? Sounds like you bought exactly what i want (lucky git), where did you buy it from? As for the hardtop, unless it dramatically affects insurance i'm not that bothered to be honest, cos think it'll be a pain to store anyway. As for the price you said, i think thats what i'd offer, defo no more, but as you've said waiting might be the better option. (silver - not my cuppa tea, a few too many).

funster - hopefully looking at it this wkend, although my father is going on my behalf to scout it out tonight for me. I know it'll look cosmetically spot on (with the spraying & wheels etc), but i have instructed him to look more closely for me as well though. Will ask about the servicing.

Lloyd Six - You've just hit the nail on the head, that magical 100k mark does seem to bother people, not so much me, but i will other people. Plus i'll wanna use it as a regular car ??? Not good i feel. Cheers for the tip on the autoglyn though.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 AM

There must be better out there than that...

Do you actually want a GT? Many people who have them only put the hard top on for a few months a year and the rest of the time they just waste space...

If you are buying privately it may be worth waithing till the end of *cough* summer... as the prices fall a bit.

I would look for an 02 plate with lower miles. 02 is the year they made some changes, most importantly glass rear window.

Do you want it from a dealer rather than private? My reason for buying from a dealer was that I had a part exchange and wanted the 1 year waranty, if your only geting 1 months waranty then it isn't much in terms of peace of mind.

Have you checked pistonheads? http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=327 most of them on pistonheads seem to be through s2000-4u who are a dealer with mixed reports.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:47 AM

November is a good time to buy convertibles....
Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM

That's quite pricey IMO and there are many more cars out there with less miles.

Get hunting starting on this website first.

If you want a dealer car, start on Honda.co.uk and do a good search.

Don't touch a car that hasn't strictly adhered to the service intervals, especially a pre 04.

My 03 drank oil for fun and I checked it regularly. I can imagine that someone who was too lazy or couldn't be arsed to service their car on time probably did not pay attention to other aspects of mainenance.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:54 AM

wingnutLP - "There must be a better one out there than that?" Yeah thats what i've been telling myself all along Really want one now, cos my current car just keeps braking down on me.

To be honest, i kinda do want a GT as i'd use it all through the winter, but if a good roadster came up i'd very comfortably say ah well sod it. However if the insurance is massively reduced by the presence of the hardtop (not sure), then i'd want it more, but again would depend on whats on offer.

Thats what i've been thinking in regards to the summer bit & i'm not in a rush, i could wait. However some people seem to think they come down & other dont?

I do defo want an '02 or onwards for those exact reasons (obviosly plus the others speakers etc), but yeah starting to think wait for a lower mileage could be a good idea. Suppose could still go to see it anyway, get a test drive under my belt? Then try to haggle.

Not bothered dealer or private, both have pro's & con's i feel. its just this one is at a (non) honda garage thats all.

I check pistonheads, autotrader, honda (official) used cars, unofficial honda used cars (like a scanner) & this site daily. Have been for as i've already said months now. Do also check S2000-4U, but they aint got anything that floats my boat at the moment though, plus the negative reviews has put me off a bit tbh.

NeilB - What makes you say tha?

moff - cant seem to find any of these "other cars" though? I check pistonheads, autotrader, honda (official) used cars, unofficial honda used cars (like a scanner) & this site daily. Have been for as i've already said months now. Do also check S2000-4U a few times per week. Why you say not to touch a car thats not strictly adhered to the service intervals pre 04?

"My 03 drank oil for fun and I checked it regularly. I can imagine that someone who was too lazy or couldn't be arsed to service their car on time probably did not pay attention to other aspects of mainenance." Thats whats playing on my mind as well & as i cant ask the old owner about his oiling habits, i'm shitting it a bit.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by taffyb,Sep 17 2007, 03:54 PM
Just because the market for soft-tops dries up a bit as the weather takes a turn for the colder and wetter - fewer people out there buying means that people who really have no choice but to sell can be pressured into dropping their price to shift the car.

To say that soft top prices drop in winter is perhaps going a bit too far - but there's certainly more scope to drive a harder bargain if you can find a buyer who wants rid.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by taffyb,Sep 17 2007, 02:54 PM
It's fecking cold in November! What no one seems to realise that with a hat on and the heater at full blast it is fine as long as the sun's out.

Do you have a decent amout of space to store the hard top? You will only have it on for 3 -4 months per year MAX and they take up more room than you think. Personally I don't see the point unless it's a mugen carbon fibre one!

A dealer may be worth it but I would say probably only a honda one and only because you get a full 1 year waranty. The extra I paid for mine from Honda paid for itself when the roof ripped due to wear from the frame and they replaced it saving me over a grand. Look out for wear above the right shoulder of driver and left shoulder of the passenger BTW.

TBH I would steer clear of that milage if you will be using it as a daily driver purely for resale value reasons when you move on.

I haven't really looked recently but I paid 17 for an 02 with 30k on the clock 2 and a half years ago from honda with a years waranty so something in your budget with lower miles will come up.

Where in the UK are you?

There are quite a few on piston heads that may be worth a look:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/243926.htm if you can cope with girly blue
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/226883.htm from someone on this board and at least sounds well looked after
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/227564.htm

Have you test driven any? If not get yourself to a dealer and give it a try as you may hate the power delivary.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Sep 17 2007, 04:12 PM
.....You will only have it on for 3 -4 months per year MAX .....
Or, much, much worse, be stupidly lazy and leave it on much more than you should - which kinda defeats a large chunk of the purpose of the S2000.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice - Is this a worth it?