UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying S2K brakes need replacing need advicie

Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got that put to rest I've just taken delivery of some front pads for mine, I've only paid the deposit so far!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

personally I would rather put my own new discs and pads on, that way you know what quality parts you have chosen ! if they swapped them they would be budget parts to keep costs down.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Pads and discs are consumables, as are callipers on a S2000, go for it and get someone other than Honda to check the brakes again, i.e. someone who isn't out to make money from you.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my report back from honda.

Front & Rear Brake discs are corroded, replace discs and pads recheck required 24/07/2015. So that gives me a few months with them.

The garage said they replaced the tyres and in the honda report they are just listed as budget so god knows what tyres are on it =\ Should i be worried considering this car relies on good tyres? They are brand new though.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Brand new or not never drive an S on budget tyres, or as we call them "ditch finders", INSIST on Bridgestone Potenza's with MZ fitment or Goodyear asymmetric A1's, otherwise you will be spending at least £450 getting them replaced. So brand new crap tyres are just that, your life depends on good tyres on an S and these cowboys are trying to compromise that?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 AM

So they haven't given me any money off the car, dont want to help with the brakes and have ditch finders on them. I'm gonna have to go see them in person and discuss this because this is sounding like a god damn death trap now.

I could swap the brand new rears to the front and get some decent rears though right?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 AM

Front and rear tyres are different sizes so no you can't swap them round.

Not that having ditch finders on the front would make it any better.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 AM

I've added a picture of the report showing the tires the are exactly the same size front and back so have they fitted incorrect tires? I'm going to and try find what size they should be now. This is sounding more and more dangerous >.<

EDIT - Is the below the correct tire size for the car?

Front 215/45/17
Rear 245/40/17
Attached Thumbnails Buying S2K brakes need replacing need advicie-s2ktires.png  
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 AM

Would you buy the car for £15k if it had new decent brand tyres and new brakes? If you would then go for it if you like it and don't mind getting those things done.

By the way my personal opinion is that with £14k nearly all S2000's for sale will be in budget so unless this is the very best one your willing to travel to then you could just walk away and wait for one to come up with better tyres and brakes. There is usually a compromise of some sort on any used car though.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you really spending 13K on this car? If so, couple of checks:

1. You say the geo bolts were checked. By whom? If the garage said so, get it in writing that every bolt was checked to be free and greased up etc..
2. Budget tyres on an S are a shit idea. You will definitely be changing all four corners and you're looking at £450 including fitting for Goodyears. Use this as negotiation to reduce the price.
3. Go round the car and do a visual check of the brake disks and pads. Run your finger against the outer edge of each disk, if you feel a lip then the disks should be changed. Look at the pads to see if they are low. Again use this as negotiation on the price.

If the garage are not bending over backwards to sell you this car at that price-point, walk away right now.

Quick Reply: Buying S2K brakes need replacing need advicie