UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Can Honda dealerships adjust suspension geometry?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Honda dealerships adjust suspension geometry?

Firstly, hello. I'm in the process of hopefully becoming a S2000 owner and I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm currently in negotiations over the purchase of a 2004 S2000. According to the owner, Honda checked it's rear geometry back in 2009 but there's no paper record of this, and apparently the front wasn't looked at.

I have said that I will purchase the car subject to confirmation the geo adjustment bolts aren't seized - not an unreasonable request. However, it seems as though it's quite a hassle to get this checked (wheels off, bolts out, replace, reset geo, wheels back on). I've read all the rave reviews of Centre Gravity, Wheels in Motion etc but I'm not going to be able to persuade the current owner to go down that route. I'm just after straightforward assurance the bolts are ok. Geo I don't mind sorting myself at another time.

I can't find any information on whether Honda does this themselves. If Honda does, I can get the owner to drop it down the local dealership and I'll hopefully be able to purchase the car on assurance from them bolts are free.

1. Do Honda dealerships do this? All of them or just some? The car's in Hertfordshire at the moment.

2. Any ideas of cost for Honda to do this?

Thanks very much in advance for any responses.

Rick
Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It'll be more than WiM, that's for sure!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Honda can do this, but as AquilaEagle says, it'll likely be more than WiM as they faff and fart around in order to get money out of customers. Many of us do not trust dealerships full stop, although there are a few good ones out there
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd rather go to somone thats doing geo all day and every day, the S2000 is one of the only Hondas that need it doing (try asking a Jazz owner when they last had it done!) so I'd never trust Honda to do it, just find soneone with a hunter rig or the like who sounds like they know what they are up to.
As for cost, my local guy charges £20 to check it over and then charges per adjustment based on his time, for a full set up £60 to £80 is resonable(Honda £150 ish)

EDIT I think it's a total discrace that they did the rear and left the front, either that or a lie.

and the only way to check the bolts is to pull them to see, and you will need the geo doing then anyway.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

The bolts do not need to be removed to check if they are seized.

They need to be able to be loosened so the geometry can be adjusted. If this is the case, then all is well.

Get the owner to go onto http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ and find a local place who will be able to check it over and see everything is ok. It won't cost him a lot and may get him a sale.

If all is well, then you may well want to go through the process of having the bolts removed and greased to prevent corrosion in the future.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've not seen any Honda dealerships who have alignment equipment, but there might be some who do. They may also sub it out to someone else.

I would say that as long as the geo is checked and in spec, a seized bolt isn't a big issue. Unless it's split bush then it will pass an MOT.

And if you aren't plannign to adjust the geo to track spec or change coilovers / springs then it's also not an issue.

If the geo is out, and can't be adjusted back into spec, then it's a money conversation with the seller.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
The bolts do not need to be removed to check if they are seized.

They need to be able to be loosened so the geometry can be adjusted. If this is the case, then all is well.

If all is well, then you may well want to go through the process of having the bolts removed and greased to prevent corrosion in the future.
What I meant was they need to be removed to check if they are greased, I've heard of a crook (a certain dealer we speak of on here from time to time) who smeard grease on the outside of the bolts and claimed they had been done.

As for Honda diong it, they couldn't even stop my radio door from sticking! And as MB said most Honda stealer will farm out the work and charge you extre for the privilidge.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

Glad that's clear now. We don't want to frighten Rik to death!

My local dealers are excellent, and give good service and discounts. They are not all bad.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Glad that's clear now. We don't want to frighten Rik to death!

My local dealers are excellent, and give good service and discounts. They are not all bad.
Yes Rik don't panic, unless you are buying from S2000-4U THEN RUN!
And totaly agree there some fine Honda dealers out there.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that advice chaps, especially the www.alignmycar.com link. Found a centre quarter of a mile from the owner!

I think I'll say if the owner can get me an alignment/geo print out from the nearest centre to him, I'll take the car no quibbles.

If he's unable/unwilling to do that, then I need some cash off the price of the car.

Thanks again

Rick

Quick Reply: Can Honda dealerships adjust suspension geometry?