UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Care & Detailing

Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies in advance if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that you use Gtechniq products.

If so have you used/intend to use Crystal Serum .

I would be interested in your thoughts on this product and some costings for application as it is not available to the general public .

Rob has mentioned £200 for application including the product but this seems a bit optimistic a cannot include much in the way of prep .

Regards John.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
Apologies in advance if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that you use Gtechniq products.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this product and some costings for application as it is not available to the general public .

Rob has mentioned £200 for application including the product but this seems a bit optimistic a cannot include much in the way of prep .

Regards John.
Hi John,

Apologies for the delayed reply, been away in T-Gypt for a couple of weeks...

Crystal Serum is an amazing new product from Gtechniq, I am actually yet to use this as part of my services as I am so happy that C1 and ExoV2 offer the ultimate finish and protection. I am aware of how many people within the Detailing world that have had many hours testing and reviewing the product whilst in development and can assure you that the price for the product is justified with how good Gtechinq's coating are.

The reason for a higher application price is because you really have to take care, once its on, it's on! and if it's done wrong you need to wet sand to remove it, hence why only professionals can purchase these coatings as part of their services.

£200 for application wouldn't include much more than a thorough cleanse and decontamination, like a Protection Detail, you're looking at more if you wanted to add this to an Enhancement detail where more time is spent on correcting defects prior to the application of Crystal Serum and additional top layers of ExoV2 or C2v3 for example.

There are alternative nano coatings on the market that are only recommended to be applied by accredited pro's like Gyeon MOHS+ which can be baked onto the paintwork and wheels with infra red heaters etc. all in all, its about making sure the product is applied perfectly to ensure the best finish and protection for your pride and joy.

and believe me, once these coatings are on, in my opinion, no wax / traditional sealant can top them!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Any tips for keeping the roof nice and black? Mine was black when I bought it in Feb from a Honda dealer, now has really lost that black finish. Not sure what they used.

I tired auto glym bumber black in the past on my old one, as recommmended on here, but that was really hard to get a consistent level of application, so looked quite blotchy.

There must be something bettter to use?

I've some 303 protectant. Should I try that? I'm not sure that will bring any of the blackness back though?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the 303 stuff and think that doesn't do much for bringing the black back. Might do for a little while but not for long if I look at mine now after a few months:

Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Hi

Any tips for keeping the roof nice and black? Mine was black when I bought it in Feb from a Honda dealer, now has really lost that black finish. Not sure what they used.

I tired auto glym bumber black in the past on my old one, as recommmended on here, but that was really hard to get a consistent level of application, so looked quite blotchy.

I've some 303 protectant. Should I try that? I'm not sure that will bring any of the blackness back though?

Thanks!

Hi zzkamikazezz

I agree with WinFreak that 303 is great at sealing the roof but is not the best solution for restoring the black on your top.

What I would suggest is to use a Product called Renovo 'Soft Top Reviver' (see link below), it's dead easy to apply, you simply paint it on in even layers until the whole roof is covered, once dried it'll look like new again...

Renovo 'Soft Top Reviver' For Black Fabric Cabriolet Roofs

Once this has been done, I would then use your 303 protectant or any equivalent like Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric to seal it up and get you that hydrophobic water repellent you need to ensure that restored finish is locked in and looks it's best!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

"quite literally a new soft top in a bottle!" Brilliant, save me a trip to Jack Smiths then Cheers for the recommendation on this I might give it a go myself.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM
jsh

Originally Posted by Deep Impact Aaron
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1400760015' post='23170928
Hi

Thanks!

Hi zzkamikazezz

I agree with WinFreak that 303 is great at sealing the roof but is not the best solution for restoring the black on your top.

What I would suggest is to use a Product called Renovo 'Soft Top Reviver' (see link below), it's dead easy to apply, you simply paint it on in even layers until the whole roof is covered, once dried it'll look like new again...

Renovo 'Soft Top Reviver' For Black Fabric Cabriolet Roofs

Once this has been done, I would then use your 303 protectant or any equivalent like Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric to seal it up and get you that hydrophobic water repellent you need to ensure that restored finish is locked in and looks it's best!

Will the Renovo you've linked to work on a OEM roof as it's vinyl not fabric ?

Renovo do make a product specifically for vinyl.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jsh

With the Vinyl, most fading occurs from ingrained dirt and grime building up over the years, generally a thorough clean and protectant like I1 or 303 will restore the colour to like new again.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
jsh

Originally Posted by jsh' timestamp='1399819346' post='23154448

Regards John.
Hi John,

Apologies for the delayed reply, been away in T-Gypt for a couple of weeks...

Crystal Serum is an amazing new product from Gtechniq, I am actually yet to use this as part of my services as I am so happy that C1 and ExoV2 offer the ultimate finish and protection. I am aware of how many people within the Detailing world that have had many hours testing and reviewing the product whilst in development and can assure you that the price for the product is justified with how good Gtechinq's coating are.

The reason for a higher application price is because you really have to take care, once its on, it's on! and if it's done wrong you need to wet sand to remove it, hence why only professionals can purchase these coatings as part of their services.

£200 for application wouldn't include much more than a thorough cleanse and decontamination, like a Protection Detail, you're looking at more if you wanted to add this to an Enhancement detail where more time is spent on correcting defects prior to the application of Crystal Serum and additional top layers of ExoV2 or C2v3 for example.

There are alternative nano coatings on the market that are only recommended to be applied by accredited pro's like Gyeon MOHS+ which can be baked onto the paintwork and wheels with infra red heaters etc. all in all, its about making sure the product is applied perfectly to ensure the best finish and protection for your pride and joy.

and believe me, once these coatings are on, in my opinion, no wax / traditional sealant can top them!

I have used some of the so called "nano" coatings in the past .Specifically Aquartz (before it became Cquartz) Cquartz,Wolfs Hardbody and the latest Bodyguard as well as P22 and Gyeon Prime and Mohs .

My interest in Crystal Serum is centered around the fact that ,from what i've read , it should be possible , rather than re-apply every 6 months (summer/winter prep) that any minor wash / dry marring would be in the coating rather than in the clearcoat thus preserving the clearcoat.

Being available to the trade only I cannot apply this myself so need to know if the additional cost is worth it as my clearcoat must be getting a bit thin by now

Also a bit nervous about my polishing efforts being scrutinized and ridiculed by a professional detailer
Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 AM
jsh

Originally Posted by jsh' timestamp='1400771073' post='23171194

With the Vinyl, most fading occurs from ingrained dirt and grime building up over the years, generally a thorough clean and protectant like I1 or 303 will restore the colour to like new again.

Well on the odd occasion I've cleaned my roof using G101 it tends to turn a bit grayer/lighter rather than darker .

G101 may have removed a bit of the colour

Having used both 303 and Renovo I still think AG Instant Tyre Dressing is better !!!!

I recently bought some Gyeon tire and ,while its the best stuff I've used so far for tyres a test area on the roof was a bit too shiny !

Quick Reply: Car Care & Detailing