UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Keep the S as the daily driver and buy a track car
22.64%
Keep the S as the summer driver and track car, and buy a beater
49.06%
28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Car Choices

Old 01-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just buy a beater... and use your S as a weekend street warrior/track car..... and if you happen to go off road on the track, you can take your time in fixing it cause you'll still have that beater...
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16 PM

If you want to do track days then I dont think the S is the right car for this.

It's down to pennies really. Would be great to keep the S and get a sweet track day car but judging from your post this isn't really likely.

If I was in your position I would sell the S and get a VX220 turbo (and sort to get right for the track) or get a elise with the toyota 190 engine. I've come from a VXT and was happy using it as my only car. If I had a beater i wouldn't want to use it!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sell it and buy a
Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my mind its a question of balance. Ask yourself how many track days you really willl get around to - I suspect half a dozen per year is most you'll get around to (Mark is an exception!). If so, will those half dozen track days in a track day car outweigh the many miles on the boring beater? Only you can decide that. FWIW, when I change my S I'll be going for a more track-specific car but I only use it very rarely for work. I also want to learn to get more out my S2000 before I "upgrade" to a more track-orientated beast.

EDIT: I was offered a race-repped Caterham last month for
Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=Dark Blue Mark,Jan 2 2006, 10:10 PM] Sell it and buy a
Old 01-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Jan 2 2006, 10:25 PM
I don't understand this apporach TBH - why buy an S2000 as a track day car when an elise/exige/decent caterham can be had for that money?
I'd have thought you could get a far better track day car than an S for under
Old 01-02-2006, 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Jan 2 2006, 10:33 PM] I'd have thought you could get a far better track day car than an S for under
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 PM

It's my only car... daily driver and track-days.

I've got a lot more to learn about driving the car fully to its potential on the track, so a dedicated track weapon isn't really necessary for me and my ~6-10 track days a year. Maybe in the future...

I've tried running a beater to do the daily trudge to and from work for a few months, but to be honest, in my circumstances, it simply wasn't cost-effective on my mileage and budget.

The S2000 is an excellent compromise for me. The alternative would be a low-use track weapon and a dull beater which doesn't fit for me at present.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 PM

When your "track" are the roads up here the S makes perfect sense.
Although an elise or a vx220 (or a caterham) would be far better track cars, I worry they wouldn't take the abuse of the regular jock meets/roads

If all you are doing is rolling it on to a track every now and then, I would get something more focused, but if you fancy a weekend B road blast, the S is a hard compromise to beat. IMO
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 AM

Tricky one to answer - but what do you want a sports car for?

Tracking?
Fast Road Driving?
Looking flash?

Or a combination of any of the above

If you are going to be covering the UK with your job(as I do) then the S is probably not the best choice of car. It's not great on juice, and can be a pain concentrating on very wet motorways at six in the morning.

I used mine for 2years as my daily drive and tracked it as you know - 64K miles later and it had depreciated a fair bit.

I've had an Alfa (beater) for just over a year and I've run up 27K miles in that time, it's not worth more than a few grand so the miles don't really matter.

I'm using the Tuscan as a road car and occasional track car, simply due to the cost of consumables. Not too worried about binning it as I've got a fondness for only going silly when there's a fair run off area!

Next on the list is a dedicated track car with MOT and a tax disc, something like a bike engined westie. Like Gad said - the more cars the better!

Quick Reply: Car Choices