UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Cover ?

Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover ?

Hi ya ..

After reading Roadie's post on how the harsh Scottish weather is taking a toll on his s2, I'm considering whether it is a good idea to get an outdoor car cover (genuine S2k offering from Honda ... from an American site). I got my s2k for 2 weeks now ... initially i left it on the driveway ... until a bunch of kids in Celtic colors came by and left paw prints on it !! My garage is small and it requires precision driving to maneuver it in and out. I actually get anxiety attacks thinking about backing out of the garage.

Anyone has any experience with the car covers ?? (it does come with locks ...)

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good car cover will help, but you really need to be very careful how and when you use it. For example, is is not advisable to put a cover on the car if it is anything but spotless - if the car is dirty, the cover, no matter how gentle and 'guaranteed not to damage paintwork' the manufacturers claim it to be, will act like a giant piece of sandpaper on the car .

Similarly, most of the better covers should not be used in windy conditions - they will just take off!! (Or worse, if you have secured them with a cable lock, will flap about on the floor/your cars bodywork ).

The official US Honda cover is a lovely thing - cotton with fleece lining, fits the car like a glove, but it is an indoor cover - it will just soak up gallons of watter if used outside.

A far better bet for the sort of use you are describing is the Covercraft Weathersheild custom cover.

Go to www.autoanything.com and follow the links to car covers - I got mine here and found them very cheap and reliable.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The weathershield is the one to go for ...... if you do a search and try and find some of the failed car cover group buy threads (at least 3 to date) you will find details of costs and details of US supliers that will ship to the UK. (the cost about twice as much to buy one in the UK)

With the strength of the
Old 02-16-2004, 11:49 PM

I've got an official Honda outdoor cover but it doesn't like wind, it's blown off once and I only put the cover on when the car is spotless, meaning that you have to wash it after every drive. I only intend to use it in the garage (when it's built) from now on.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 PM

The Weathershield comes with a cable and padlock which keeps the cover on the car
Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only car cover I would receommend is one with a frame that bolts to the ground and then pulls up over the car, leaving some air space between the two. Otherwise, you can get problems I think (I have seen cars get paint damge leaving a cover lying on the paint too long). Try searching for "folding garages"
Old 02-17-2004, 01:03 AM

Thanx for the advice... will check out the sites... meanwhile will have to keep car in garage.

I wonder whether those kids are legal ??

www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk
Old 02-17-2004, 01:22 AM

Is that bottles of Buckfast that I see in some of the photos?

Old 02-17-2004, 02:03 AM

Buckfast......... lush innit fella
Old 02-17-2004, 02:53 AM

Aye ...Buckie and MD 20/20

Checkout the Nedogotchi under Toys section.

Quick Reply: Car Cover ?