UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car covers & winter preservation

Old 10-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car covers & winter preservation

It has taken me 18 months to get my car into the condition its in now and I don
Old 10-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete, you ask too many questtions ....... [1]

Weathershield car cover ios avbout the best you can get.

[1] Been out at the pub all night
Old 10-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete the amount of bloody polish that on your motor even a nuclear fall out would not hurt it!! how long are you keeping it? if 5 years then don't bother and just use it ,if longer then check out car coon i think thats what its called very good from what i have seen!!

Where were you today mate
Old 10-23-2004, 03:02 PM

I use a weathershield outdoor cover - it is great - there will be loads of ventilation under it so condensation should not be too much of an issue. The biggest problem as I found out yesterday is that the wind will get under and whip it off and it is very easily done. I check the car every day to make sure the cover is in tact (assuming that it is not used for a few days). Even doing this the cover lifted off from the back and wind the finished the job off the other day. It now needs to be washed before I use it again. Also the waterproofing will only keep so much of the water off the bodywork before it gets wet. I always only use the cover when the car is washed and dried thoroughly. Your idea of using 2 covers makes sense and I am sure will help with your concern over the cover scratching the car.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:12 PM
P 1

Pete
Have you thought about renting garage space somewhere?
Your post raises things I have been thinking about now that winter is approaching.
Like you I will never take my S out when the roads have any grit / salt on them over winter. I've just booked my S into Greenacre on the understanding that if there's salt about I won't be there ( They are very understanding - try that with a Ford dealer!)
I think the best solution to the condensation issue is to drive the car regularly over winter - regardless of whether you have a garage or not. This, I'm sure, is better by far than simply leaving it sat there under a cover for the winter months.
In summary - either lay it up properly, warm & completely dry, or run it regularly, picking your days carefully.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:57 PM

I too have had similar concerns, I bought the Official Honda cover off ebay a while back, I've used it a couple of times, when I havent been using the car, and it works a treat! I've had no problems with scratches, condensation or anything like that. I have only ever used the cover when the car has been completely MINT, after a full detailing including a couple of hours polishing.

The cover is for use in both indoor and outdoor weather conditions, the guidelines on the package do advise against using the cover in very strong winds though.

I just love the attention it gets though! A guy drove past the house the other week and stopped completely, starring at my car all covered up - probably thought it was some sort of prototype Honda...

(Plus the covers the sexiest colour.... Nurburging Blue!! )
Old 10-24-2004, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by s2000silvervtec,Oct 23 2004, 10:36 PM
if longer then check out car coon i think thats what its called very good from what i have seen!!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:49 AM

I find the best way to keep the car covered up and dry is to use 3 covers
Cotton cover first then a Honda or Helfords breathable cover and then a cheap poly tarp over the whole lot with a rope around the car to keep it all on

Works a treat with the the old MG,s

I find that unless the poly tarp is put on the car you will still get condensation even under the breathable cover .......their good but not 100% waterproof

you can even waxoil the underside of the car if your really keen filthy stuff but it works

Old 10-24-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by grahamS2000,Oct 24 2004, 08:49 AM
you can even waxoil the underside of the car if your really keen filthy stuff but it works

Your jocking pete cant see the under side of his car as he bought complete stock from Halfords there ain't any left in the country!!
Old 10-24-2004, 05:34 AM

fluff; it looks cool that coon A

Not sure it would work on street parking as you would get all low life living in it!

Quick Reply: Car covers & winter preservation