UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Castrol Oil - differences?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol Oil - differences?

Morning all - Opie is doing both Edge TD and Edge.
The Edge TD is slightly cheaper than the 'normal' Edge. Is there any difference now between the two oils now?

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Si2k informs us that there is (he works for Castrol) but either is fine in an S2000, as is any 5w40 oil.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 AM

I Got this from Castrol recently,

Dear Mr M

Thank you for your e-mail.

Honda prefer the use of a 5W-40 viscosity product in the Honda S2000 and for some time, the only 5W-40 EDGE product was the Turbo Diesel variant. Recently, due to various changes in the Industry Specifications that we quote on our oils, we have introduced a second 5W-40 variant which covers many, but not all, of the same specifications as the Turbo Diesel product. This is to ensure that we have the best possible coverage of the current car parc.

I can confirm that both EDGE 5W-40 A3/B4 and EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 are perfectly suitable for your vehicle. The EDGE Turbo Diesel product has a few more “diesel oriented” specifications on it, but it is still perfectly suited to use in petrol engines as well. The inclusion of Turbo Diesel in the name is an attempt to reassure diesel owners that they have purchased an oil that is suitable for their vehicle rather than an indication that the oil is only suitable for diesels – many diesel owners will only buy a product that specifically mentions diesel.

Now that we have “normal” EDGE 5W-40, you will see that that is our preferred recommendation for your vehicle, however not all retailers take both 5W-40 variants and so we will still recommend the Turbo Diesel variant if that is the only 5W-40 available to the customer in any particular situation.

I hope this makes sense. Please contact us again if you require any further information.

Regards.

Brian Utton
Automotive Technical Manager
Lubricants UK & Ireland
Technical Helpdesk: UK 0845 082 1719
ROI 1 800 509 353
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
Either are fine to be honest, as Brian says the Turbo diesel product not longer carries ACEA A3/B4 due to the ACEA 2008 changes that means A/B oils require an oil with a TBN above 8 (Edge TD is 7.6 TBN)

Feb 2009 I started developing the new EDGE 5W-40 formulation that can claim ACEA A/B, nice to see it on the shelves 2 years later.

The formulations are now different.
They are now different, but exactly how different you really don't need to know. Si could probably explain but I don't see the need.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 AM

We should the get these responses from Castrol and Honda stickied!

Castrol response posted by Tallville above.
Honda UK response pasted below:

Originally Posted by Wobbly
Rather than bringing up the "What oil?" topic all over again and asking on these forums, I e-mailed Honda UK and asked them. This was their answer...

Dear Mr Packer,

Thank you for contacting Honda,

The recommended Engine Oil for your Honda S2000 is 5w-40.

If you have any further questions or feedback, please complete our feedback form @ www.honda.co.uk or call our Honda UK Contact Centre on 0845 200 8000, Option 2.

Kind regards

Matt

Honda UK Contact Centre

I'm sure this is pretty much common knowledge on these forums, but with the sheer amount of threads on oil, finding a quick answer can be a little tricky. I have always used Castol oil in all my cars, and after searching their product range, their only 5W 40 oil is EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40. I e-mailed Castrol just to check and received this...

Hi John
Interestingly I've just done an email to another S2000 owner extolling
the virtues of EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40.

Unfortunate that our marketing department decided to call it that to try
and pigeon hole it within a certain market segment - totally irrelevant
though as it is totally suitable for petrol engines as well ( Note the
ACEA A3 petrol specification ), and is the ONLY oil that I would
recommend for your Honda.
Just ignore the name - it will be perfect.

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Automotive Lubricants Technical Advisor

Other oils are available of course, but I thought this might be of some interest to some of you.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 AM

Chet - I wasn't asking if EDGE TD is safe to use, as I already use it (and have a similar email from Castrol when I bought the S2000. I was just wondering if there is a difference between TD and non TD.
If anything, we could sticky the response that Tallville put up.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 AM

Asda have the normal edge on offer just now
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Yeah, it's only £35 for 4L
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 AM

30 for 4 litre in scotland
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Opie will match the Asda price which means you don't have to go into the chav infested wastelands of Asda and worse, the Asda car park.

Just click price beater on the Opie website and find the Asda price online. Simples.

Quick Reply: Castrol Oil - differences?