UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cat woes

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat woes

I think my cat has gone meoww for good, it rattles and when i get up on a ramp today we'll see for sure if its a heat shield or a stone thats causing it, but I doubt it.

Couple of questions -

- What do people do generally to replace? I presume main dealer is stupid money

- Trying to fund a 2nd hand one, did they change design after a certain year? My car is '99 so up to what year can I source one from?

- Decat won't pass a MOT / NCT I presume?

- Will a sports cat pass?

Any other help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

- What do people do generally to replace? I presume main dealer is stupid money
Either a used replacement from a breaker or a Berk Hi-Flow cat. Yes, a replacement from a dealer is silly money.

- Will a sports cat pass?
The Berk Hi-Flow cat certainly will.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM

berk hi flow is a sports cat is it? Whats the best / cheapest place to pick one up?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You would probably have to buy direct from Berk in the US.

You may find someone on here willing to sell one as I did a group buy for around 20 of them last year.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 AM

Okey dokey and the u.s. one will fit straight on?

I've sourced a 2nd hand original one with small miles but it's from a '07 car - are they the same?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that in some cases you can repair your CAT. Mine for example it rattling. It turns out one of the two elements inside mine has come loose and is hitting against the O2 sensor. it doesn't rattle all the time, but when it does you know about it.

What I have done was take the CAT off the car. Grind off the nuts holding the shielding on (these were fused together on mine). I made sure the element was in it's correct place, and measure the distance from the neck to the top of the element. I then transposed that onto the surface of the CAT to give me a rough idea of where to drill. I started with a small pilot hole just to see how close I was. My aim was to not hit the element, but get the self tappers to rest against it. My fear was that the element would break up inside the CAT

This diagram might help explain what I'm doing

Now I will admit my first attempt wasn't a 100% success. It lasted for a few days before rattling again. I think my self tappers were too short and they have "bent" back under the force of the moving element so I need to have another go. I may look at running a very long bolt from one side to the other. This would prevent the element from moving and there would be no way it could force it's way past like it has done with the self tappers.

Another option might be to break up the moving element and pour out the pieces. Be careful if you do this as your car may not pass the MoT if there is less element inside.

If my second attempt works I will start a new thread with a few photos to help other people in a similar situation.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 AM

ok, all options are good....

priced a cat from Honda - 1500 euro - about 1300stg!!

I can get one made up, new cat centre piece using the old flanges for 250euro or 220stg..... I think I might just go with this
Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM,Jul 7 2009, 08:07 AM
Either a used replacement from a breaker or a Berk Hi-Flow cat. Yes, a replacement from a dealer is silly money.

The Berk Hi-Flow cat certainly will.

Sweeping statement - mine didn't and I think there was at least one other person it didn't for. Seems to be pot luck if it passes.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM

got sorted anyway, thanks lads