UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Changing car battery

Old 05-13-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing car battery

So I'm thinking about having a go myself changing the battery. I've had a read of a few guides and watched a few videos. Does anybody have any top tips? I'm a little nervous it must be said because it's electrical, is there actually any real risk of getting a electric shock?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No risk at all unless you're incredibly careless. When removing the terminals, take care not to touch the spanner on anything else metallic.

Remove the black negative/earth cable first (closest to the back of the engine bay) and then the red positive cable. Refit with positive first then earth.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

And don't mess around with batteries that will fail prematurely, get one from your Honda dealer, it will be a good price, last longer (it comes with a three year warranty), and you know the battery terminals will be the right way round.

Don't forget to check you have your radio code, and do the ECU reset routine when you've fitted it. If you've not got the radio code get Honda to fit it they will extract the code for you.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just don't put the terminals in your mouth....
Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 AM

I got a Yuasa battery from a local auto electrical place when i swapped mine. Was about £32 i think, very reasonable for a premium brand
Old 05-14-2015, 02:01 AM

Yeh Yuasa would have been my second choice since I've heard nothing but good about them back when I still had my bike. But most people on here say oem is best so I just got mine from Si. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by NicoS
Yeh Yuasa would have been my second choice since I've heard nothing but good about them back when I still had my bike. But most people on here say oem is best so I just got mine from Si. Thanks for the advice guys!
In me experience, OEM are usually just a re-stickered yuasa/varta or similar so either way you'll be ok.

Hope you get it swapped over with no bother. It's a good time to remove the battery tray and clean up in the corner. I got carried away and stripped & re-painted the tray and top clamp. Now in wrinkle black for added bay points
Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 AM

Don't do this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMNNHw2K-I[/media]
Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
Don't do this:

Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 AM

I just changed the battery and it was as easy as everybody said it would be, thanks guys! Now I went for a little drive so the ecu could relearn things as advised, then the cel came on. I know it won't be anything major but does this normally happen and anybody have any ideas what it might be?

Quick Reply: Changing car battery